Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

This is my first post here. I have recently set up a 10 gallon vivarium and am getting a Dendrobate azureus on Wednesday of this week. I wanted to include another frog in the tank and was thinking of either Dendrobate tinctorius "oelemari" or Dendrobate tinctoris "powder blue." Are either of these compatible? I know it is generally not advised to keep different PDFs together for breeding, but this would just be for display. Are there any other PDFs that would make a better tank mate for my azureus?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
The best tank mate for your Azureus is another Azureus. :D

It's generally frowned upon to mix frog morphs together, for a variety of reasons. (do a search on 'mixing' and you'll learn more than you ever wanted to know). I'd also recommend getting at least 20 gallons for 2 Azureus. Some will say that it can be done in a 10g, but, really, get a 20g :p

Welcome!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Please don't mix. The only other tank mate you can add is another azureus. Although 10 gal is way too small. I'd consider waiting and building a 20 or even 29 gallon if you want to add another. ( the bigger the better and more of a chance of less fighting) Also It would be a wise plan to know the sex of your current azureus and you can possibly have a pair. 2 male or 2 female fighting will be present and definitely in a smaller tank.

Just my thoughts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys for the advice! I was told that a ten gallon would be large enough to house two frogs, but then again that depends on the type of PDF. I might have gotten really excited and ahead of myself when purchasing the azureus, silly me.

I think it would probably be best to house just the one azureus (even if he/she is lonely), although I was looking forward to possibly having two.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Don't worry, you will be wanting to make another tank soon enough. There is never just one. Maybe enjoy your one Azureus for now, while planning your new tank. At any rate, there is nothing wrong with having one frog. I've been assured that they don't get lonely (yes I did ask) :)

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't worry, you will be wanting to make another tank soon enough. There is never just one. Maybe enjoy your one Azureus for now, while planning your new tank. At any rate, there is nothing wrong with having one frog. I've been assured that they don't get lonely (yes I did ask) :)
I agree I guess I am just very excited for my first PDF. I will post pictures later in the week when my froglet arrives! I cannot wait.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
A 10g is perfectly fine for a pair or tincs. I actually keep almost all my breeder tincs in 10's and they do just fine. If you really wanted to mix an azureus with another tinc, you could... You will just have to know what your doing, and not keep any eggs that are produced from them if any, and watch for aggression.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A 10g is perfectly fine for a pair or tincs. I actually keep almost all my breeder tincs in 10's and they do just fine. If you really wanted to mix an azureus with another tinc, you could... You will just have to know what your doing, and not keep any eggs that are produced from them if any, and watch for aggression.
I am just afraid that the aggression might lead to stress and ultimately the loss of one of the frogs. I am also unsure if the frogs I mentioned would co-habitate well with the azureus. I might just keep the azureus alone for now I guess.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also another question. My tank is currently 73F during the day and approximately 60-62F during the night. I was wondering if the night temperature was too cool for the azureus.

·
Registered
599 Posts
You will be just as happy with one frog. If you enjoy the hobby, you can always get more. And frogs don't get lonely as stated before.

Welcome to the addiction(I mean hobby;))

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You will be just as happy with one frog. If you enjoy the hobby, you can always get more. And frogs don't get lonely as stated before.

Welcome to the addiction(I mean hobby;))
Thank you for the welcome! I know this will become an addiction! I cannot wait to set up another tank and I don't even have my first frog with me yet.

I know the frog wont get lonely. That was just my silly excuse to get another frog. Im sure I will love my Azureus, cannot wait for the beautiful blue and black coloration.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
He should be fine with those temps. I wouldn't go lower though.
Okay, I know the lower temperatures are pushing the extremes. It just hard to keep the tank warm in my cold Maine home. I will make sure it doesn't get any cooler though.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Uh oh, now you've done it, Chris :p
Ha tell me about it.. I'm shocked I haven't been hammered yet. To be honest though, if the proper care and research have been done, two different tincs could live together with no problem. Just saying. Also back to the 10g question, like I said, a 10g really would be okay for a pair of tincs. No stress will occur as long as you have hides, plants, ect. I have two female azureus together at the moment, and there has been no agression what so ever.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ha tell me about it.. I'm shocked I haven't been hammered yet. To be honest though, if the proper care and research have been done, two different tincs could live together with no problem. Just saying. Also back to the 10g question, like I said, a 10g really would be okay for a pair of tincs. No stress will occur as long as you have hides, plants, ect. I have two female azureus together at the moment, and there has been no agression what so ever.
Oh man, you really make it difficult for me to stay with my decision to just keep one!! haha :p I will have to resist temptation

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
It is hard to just keep 1 I will tell you that, but I think you are really doing the right thing. I think the best thing for any begginer frogger is to buy just 1 frog. This way you will understand their behavior, figure out if this hobby is really for you, how much fruit flies you'll need and how much to feed, ect. There will always be more frogs for you to buy later on down the road if you really get into it.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Oh man, you really make it difficult for me to stay with my decision to just keep one!! haha :p I will have to resist temptation
You are definitely doing the right thing just starting with one...maybe you can pair it up when it gets older:) Welcome and glad to see that you are really trying to do your homework. Good Luck with your azureus, beautiful frogs for sure!

EDIT: Looks like chris beat me to it...

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you guys for the great advice. I completely agree with you guys specially because I don't want to get myself in too deep just as a beginner.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts