Dendroboard banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently caring for 5 frogs that I found in a pool as tadpoles. Four of the frogs look perfectly healthy and are eating normally. The other, however, has some major deformities. He has no fingers, no toes, his mouth has excess skin, and his body is just generally very oddly shaped. It also looks like he has some sort of problem with his eyes. It’s very hard to tell because he is very tiny. Firstly, I should mention that I believe these frogs to be spring peepers. I’ve had them for about a week and the deformed one was the last to leave the water. I noticed from the beginning that he was a very tiny tadpole compared to the rest. It’s probably been 3-4 days since then.

Now that we’ve got the general information out of the way, the reason that I am seeking advice is because he will not eat. Currently, he is in a separate tank from the rest of the frogs and is being offered flightless fruit flies. He, however, has absolutely no interest in eating. (I should also mention that he has no trouble getting around and I’ve also seen him open his mouth, so the deformity does not affect his ability to open his mouth.) I have tried letting the flies free roam and I’ve also tried to feed a live fly to him directly. I’m truly at a loss for what to do, and I’d hate to see him die without trying everything possible to help him.

Please let me know if you have any advice!

·
Administrator
5,093 Posts
I would cull it. A couple drops of Maximum Strength Anbesol (the oral anesthetic for humans) onto the belly of the frog is humane.

Reactions: Kmc
1 - 3 of 3 Posts