Dendroboard banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
It will all need replaced, you then will need to tear the tank down and clean it out with bleach. I think there was a long thread on this not too long ago.

joshua_delancey69 said:
How do i decomtaminate my tanks where i kept the frogs without killing the plants and tropical moss. any suggestions welcome thanks

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I agree with Kyle. Toss everything and bleach tank. If their have been no major problems with the tank you can wash plants and redo. You can add new frogs and hope for the best. Strict quarantine and safest way is to pitch everyting. This seems drastic but many plants are cheap compared to frogs. Of course I'd think twice before tossing plants in my best display tanks.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Get cheap plants. In my rearing tank I have a heart leaf philodendron and some other tropical plant with silvery leaves. A big 4" pot of either will run you about $1.50 at Home Depot or Lowe's in the houseplant section. Both are very hardy and can be grown from cuttings, so you don't have to use the whole plant. They also have the added bonus of being nice looking.

The heart leaf philodendron is a trailing plant, but can also climb and spread out. It is a fast grower, so will colonize the tank quickly, which is what you want in a quarantine tank. It is a very easy to recognize plant once you know what it looks like:

http://www.denverplants.com/foliage/html/phicord.htm

Ignore the watering information. Mine is growing like gangbusters and the soil never dries completely, of course.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts