Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I am to the stage of deciding which plants to put into my vivarium. My viv is 72 gallon bow front tank.

What plants would you put in and where would you place them? I want to see a nice assortment, flowering, green, verigated etc. I have considered putting frog bit into my pond??? is this something that I could do?

Will T5 lighting be efficient for my plants?

Thanks

·
Registered
901 Posts
Plants are totally up to you.
Such a variety out there that there's no cut and dry "put this in".
I would place them in the tank lol, just kidding but we'd need a picture of some sort of structure for your bowfront before providing advice.

Frog bit can be placed in your pond, i've been told it will take over your pond in no time though, so might not be something you like.

T5 lighting will do as long as it's 6500K or more, and that you have enough watts/gallon for your tank. Other wise it may be dark and plants may not grow properly.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will be spraying in my background this weekend. I will post some pics of it after I have it sprayed. I wanted to put planters etc. into the background so that was part of the reason that I was trying to figure out which plants.

Is there a good plant site that I could look at pictures to help me decide on plants?

Thank you

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
T5 lighting will do as long as it's 6500K or more, and that you have enough watts/gallon for your tank. Other wise it may be dark and plants may not grow properly.

What is the recommended watts/gallon for a vivarium?

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I don't know exactly which part of Utah you're in, but we've got some local places that you can pick up some plants from. Cactus and Tropics have some generic neoregelia broms, creeping fig, peperomia, cryptanthus. some ferns, etc. My more specialized broms have been coming from Spring Valley Tropics, but there are a variety of vendors here who have a wide selection of broms, all you need to do is check the plant classifieds.

As far as plant placement goes, if you're nearby we're a small but tight-knit little community of froggers here in the orem/provo area, I doubt if we'd mind swinging by and pointing you in the right direction.... Or next time we make a trip up to SLC. Just some thoughts :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know exactly which part of Utah you're in, but we've got some local places that you can pick up some plants from. Cactus and Tropics have some generic neoregelia broms, creeping fig, peperomia, cryptanthus. some ferns, etc. My more specialized broms have been coming from Spring Valley Tropics, but there are a variety of vendors here who have a wide selection of broms, all you need to do is check the plant classifieds.

As far as plant placement goes, if you're nearby we're a small but tight-knit little community of froggers here in the orem/provo area, I doubt if we'd mind swinging by and pointing you in the right direction.... Or next time we make a trip up to SLC. Just some thoughts :)

To bad I am 300 miles away. in St George. I've been to cactus and tropics when I was living up north I use to go there, great place. thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts