Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed a few fungus gnats that have either drowned in a broms water-filled cup, or perhaps just naturally passed and happened to land there. Now, since they inevitably rot... would the brom absorb the nutrients from the decomposing matter through their leaves?

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I'm not absolutely sure whether they can absorb the nutrients this way, but I do believe so. Don't take my word for it though. I used to think it was a bad thing that flies would drown in the brom cups but now I know it's not bad at all. Probably would feed the tads in there too if there are any.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
It takes a while for bacteria to break the bugs down into a usable state for the plant. This process would definitely be hurried by tadpoles eating them and deficating in the water. If no tads, I occasionally flush out my broms, as they can get pretty stinky when filled with rotting organic matter.

·
Registered
64 Posts
the "tank" variety bromeliads get most of their nutrients from detritus and dead insects in their cups, so if it is a tank type, just leave them in there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have no knowledge of whether non-carnivorous bromeliads can obtain nutrients from dead insects or detritus within their cups.

Here is an interesting article about two genera of carnivorous bromeliads.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts