Dendroboard banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you live in an area that has daylight saving, do you change your timer for lights and misting systems, or just leave it the way it is? Apparently, farmers have a tough time because the chickens get all thrown off for a couple of weeks, would this have the same effect on frogs?
-Beeswaxx

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I leave the timers as they are...as the days' length changes, I change the timers on/off settings to be close to the actual day/night period.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
...Far out avatar, Fini!
I don't appreciate D.S.T at all...I can see for the person working a day shift like "normal" people do...but for me...it just means I have to change my clocks.

G

·
is keeping your frog on a timed light healthier for them?

I just put my lights on when i wake up and go to bed, is that bad for the frogs? Cuz' if it is i will get on that right away.

Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
You really should be giving your frogs and plants a 12 hour photo period with some consistency. I find the only way to do that is with a timer.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Given that PDFs come from a part of the globe where you have around 12 hours of light per day with little variation (this obviously starts to change the further north or south of the equator you travel), having a 12 hour cycle per David Martin's is a good idea.

We have our vivs on timers with lights on from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. While this doesn't correspond all that well to day/night outside, since I work during the day, it ensures that I have some time in the evening to perform maintenance or just plain enjoy watching our frogs.

Bill

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
As a side note, Jon Werner uses a reverse light cycle in his frog room. When it is night his lights are just coming on and when the day begins his lights are shutting down. He does it to avoid low temps in the evening.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I really do it for two reasons. One, I avoid the hot temps in summer by having my lights off during the daylight hours. Two - it allows me to cool my frogroom during their daylight time by leaving the frogroom door open at night. Keeps temps very comfortable in the frogroom.

Jon

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I'd reccomend getting a timer that has grounded socket(s) (the three hole socket), that way you can plug a power strip in and run multiple tanks off of one timer.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I changed my timer. My room get a good amount of sun light and the lights help wake me in the mourning. I mist right after my alarm goes off and that is when the light come on. I try to get them before lights out for the night but it is often not until light out for me, late. There is no need for a fancy timer, just a cheap $5 model will do.
Later and Happy Frogging,
Jason Juchems

1 - 12 of 12 Posts