Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, so i was at a local pet store that sells dart frogs and i saw a tank that said it had d. tinctorius natasha and d. tinctorius dasha. What are these?...Ive never heard of them before. Are they another name for some other frog?
thanks

·
Registered
359 Posts
What an awful idea to give human names to frogs... These are russian girl names, rather standart :faceplam:
While you don't get used to these names, it looks crazy to me. Just imagine that one day you'll see pestshops calling crickets not a "cricket" but "John", & fruit flies will be called "Nicole" :mad:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Lol scales n tails... The store is okay but I'm pretty sure that "dasha" was just a cobalt that they wanted to put a $200 price tag on. What's even more sad is someone paid it... Talk about :facepalm:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah..it was scales and tails. They looked exactly like cobalts, but they were $119 each!! Thanks for the replies!
Kyle

·
Registered
167 Posts
If people are going to make stuff up I wish they would go all the way with it so it sticks in your mind better.

Sweet Natasha and Sultry Dasha, or Hodor The Destroyer morph. Now those will hang with you. No need to be lazy and make things up halfway. :p

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
Does anyone hear have the same complaints about Nikita tinctorius, or Patricias? How about Powder Blues, Cobalts, Citronellas, and the rest of the dart frogs that do not reflect their locality data (if it even exists) in their name? God forbid someone actually list cobalts that come from a certain area call them something other than 'Cobalts', especially when the majority of cobalts in the hobby are just a mish-mash of several different imports, and quite possibly come from different populations, or at least collection points.

I, for one, wish the cost of wild caught animals was much higher.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Zach I don't think any of us believe these are an exact location morph, if they are great but before I believe it I want back ground info, info from the importer/exporter and for that matter just to know who the importer is. I saw them at Strictly last week for $55 each, they looked good but all they could tell me is they got them from someone here in the US that brought them in, nothing more.
If I had site specific Tincs I owuld have announced it somewhere and yes got the premium you mentioned as they could and should have. Frankly I am surprised thet vendor that bought all the Popa's did not do just that unless he too did not believe these were site specific.

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
My understanding is that 'Dasha' and 'Natasha' represent certain collection points. I think that naming them something other than 'Cobalt', which has traditionally applied to any Dendrobates tinctorius that looks remotely similar to the cobalts in the hobby, is an improvement.

Scott, you think they should have just come in as "Dendrobates tinctorius", and that doing otherwise promotes hybridization? In 2009, we had Powder Blues, Patricias, Inferalanis/Alanis, and Cobalts come in - all were labeled as their species name. Do you think further labeling as their "morph" name would have led to hybridization?

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Hi Zach,

I was unaware that Dasha and Natasha were localities in Suriname. Perhaps Suriname was once part of the Soviet Union.

I, for one, HATE the ridiculous names that I am used to differentiate my frogs. I would give anything to have true locality D. tinctorius in this hobby. A boy can dream.

Take care, Richard.

Does anyone hear have the same complaints about Nikita tinctorius, or Patricias? How about Powder Blues, Cobalts, Citronellas, and the rest of the dart frogs that do not reflect their locality data (if it even exists) in their name? God forbid someone actually list cobalts that come from a certain area call them something other than 'Cobalts', especially when the majority of cobalts in the hobby are just a mish-mash of several different imports, and quite possibly come from different populations, or at least collection points.

I, for one, wish the cost of wild caught animals was much higher.

Reactions: billschwinn

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Hi Scott,

The opposite is also occuring. People get a shipment of "Powderblues", then segregate them into "blue legs", "gray legs", "small dot", and "large dot" pairs. This obsessive need we have in the hobby to be "matchy-matchy" really reduces the ability to manage the genetics of these frogs over time ("no, I don't want your female "gray legs" for my "blue legs" male, I want my frogs to match").

I've done a lot of handringing about this, but don't have any easy answers.

Take care, Richard.

If they're identifying these frogs with "cute" names, rather than species names - it makes the possibility of hybridizing (on purpose or not ... ) *much* more likely.

s

·
Registered
701 Posts
Lol scales n tails... The store is okay but I'm pretty sure that "dasha" was just a cobalt that they wanted to put a $200 price tag on. What's even more sad is someone paid it... Talk about :facepalm:
Yeah..it was scales and tails. They looked exactly like cobalts, but they were $119 each!! Thanks for the replies!
Kyle
They have darts there???? I've never seen them o.o

1 - 20 of 21 Posts