Dendroboard banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,
i keep my darts in the same room as my other reptiles. I keep a red light on at night for me to see my snakes and geckos. They can not see the red night light, but can my frogs see it?
Thank you,
TQ

·
Registered
545 Posts
I have a red light on mine and they're fine. I got a lower wattage one, just in case.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool, I did not know if they could see it. So far, I have not seen any change in the frogs, but just wanted to make sure.
TQ

·
Registered
545 Posts
Yea it's always interesting to know what frogs and animals in general can and cannot see. How would you go about testing this? Anyone have any ideas?

G

·
EverettC said:
Yea it's always interesting to know what frogs and animals in general can and cannot see. How would you go about testing this? Anyone have any ideas?
middle of night.

switch a light bulb on that is red and see if the frog wakes up...

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I used to use red lights with my Phyllomedusas. I noticed that they stayed asleep much later at night. I then changed to the moon and in summer none at all, because it's warm here.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
I would not discount that amphibians can see under red light as they exhibit an unusual response to light, both by spectra and intensity. For more details see Duellman and Trueb and/or Amphibian Biology by Heatwole.

Ed

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
So you are saying that based on your anecdotal observations, anurans cannot see by red light regardless of the intensity?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Ed,
I think Derek was agreeing with you. When I read the post the second time, it seems his observation agrees with what you are saying. Being noctural, the Phyllomedusa would sleep longer into the night under the red light (we can only assume because they 'saw'/ 'felt' it). From his post I gather he now uses the 'moon' bulb with different results.

hth
-Richard

1 - 11 of 11 Posts