Dendroboard banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm headed off to college this fall, and I was wondering on what you guys think of bringing my frogs along with me. I have an 18x18x24 and two azureus which is a little over the 30 gallon cap they have, it will still take up a lot of space. The dorms also don't have air conditioning so the temperatures may get to high. Any advice or stories about dart frogs in college would be greatly appreciated.
If someone however wants both the frogs and the tank, I will sell it locally in so cal.
Thanks

·
Administrator
8,797 Posts
No air conditioning is red flag #1.

Not checking with the dorm authority is red flag #2.

There are lots of stories on DB about people in your situation. You need to check with the Dorm Administrators first.

An alternative would be to check with the biology department at the school you are going to - to see if they might have room to allow you to keep your tanks there with the understanding that you will take care of them.

s

·
Registered
802 Posts
That's going to be hard to swing if you live on-campus in the dorms. However, if you'd be willing to live off-campus in an apartment somewhere you could definitely swing it (both for getting permission from your landlord and having AC). I'm a married student finishing up my undergrad, living off campus and I haven't had any problem keeping frogs but I doubt it would be the same story as a single on-campus student. Sorry.

·
Premium Member
2,351 Posts
I kept my trio of Orange lamasi in the dorm for about a semester last year. I had no problems with it, but I had A/C and my viv was under the size limit. I'll be living off campus next year though, so it should be much easier.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I lived in the dorms and no pets whatsoever were allowed. This was good and bad. We did have AC/Heat however I'm just thinking of other buddies acting stupid opening up the VIV and so on.

1. Check with Dorm supervisor (dorm hall RC) if pets are allowed
2. Check with weather conditions inside and outside where you live
3. Evaluate if you will have a roommate and the surrounding neighbors
4. Think of the other (situations that could happen)

I agree living off-campus is much better and easier to have parties, although dorm I sure had good memories ; )

Cheers

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Maybe he thinks the frogs are for sale? Lol. As for the OP, I'm going to college next year, but will be local for 2 years, after that I don't know what I'm going to do. I couldn't imagine getting rid of ANY of my frogs. And I've become to have a lot now..

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
even with a no pets allowed dorm it shouldn't be hard to keep frogs. Tell them that it's a vivarium for plants and most people won't pay any attention. Buy one of the locks that exo makes for their vivs to keep others from opening it. However, without environmental stability (temperature controls, for instance) there's a good chance your frogs will be doomed....

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Keeping pets alive in a dorm is a daunting task to say the least. I tried to keep a small aquarium in my dorm room freshman year.....it lasted about a week. No A/C could be a problem, but the problem I ran into was the volcano they called a heater. They would turn the heat on September 1st...no matter the outside temperature. We ended up duct-taping layers of cardboard over the vents and leaving the windows open all winter (in Pennsylvania) to keep it livable. Maybe you could find a local frogger to look out for your frogs for a few weeks while you check out the situation in the dorm.... that way you are not going in blind. It may also give you time to build a good enough rapport with your roomate to make them more willing to accept having frogs in the room (this may or may not be a problem). Gotta say that living off-campus is great.....but some of my greatest memories were made in my dorm....and its a great place to meet girls:). Good luck.....

·
Registered
599 Posts
I like the biology dept. idea. Somewhere on here is someone who does that, or at least it appeared to me that way. Sorry no more info like who it was.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. My parents want me to dorm for at least one year, but I asked the resident advisor and they said any tank under thirty gallons is ok, but I think the tank will take up a ton of room in my dorm so I'll probably just end up having to sell my setup + frogs
-Edward

·
Registered
139 Posts
I had quite a few friends opt out of living in the dorms, they sorely missed out.

Your parents are right for saying you need to live in the dorms your freshman year. I personally had the best f***n time of my life in the dorms. There is nothing like hangin your head out your door and yellin "who wants to get food/whatever" and having 5+ people yell back respond "me" lol.

If you can find a way to bring em with you great, but damn, if i could go back and do college all over again i would do it in a second!

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
The temperature will definitely get too high at some point, and you'll find yourself freaking out about what to do. I think the bio dept is a good idea.

And as someone who just graduated college, I absolutely think you should dorm on campus freshman year. All the best friends I've made in college I met freshman year in the dorms, and I don't think you should miss out!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts