Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience flying with their frogs as carry-on luggage? If so, did the X-ray machines at the airport affect their health or breeding?

Thanks,
Drew

G

·
This topic comes up every once in a while. There has been breeding from animals that have been through them. The health has also been unaffected.
j

·
Registered
487 Posts
Place the frogs in film containors, and carry them in your pockets. All your bags will get x rayed, but yourself will only go through metal detectors. Since your frogs are not made of metal, you have nothing to worry about.

M.N

·
Administrator
8,781 Posts
Of course you may look VERY lumpy if you're carrying a dozen frogs.

s
Moe said:
Place the frogs in film containors, and carry them in your pockets. All your bags will get x rayed, but yourself will only go through metal detectors. Since your frogs are not made of metal, you have nothing to worry about.

M.N

G

·
I brought my frogs back from Northwest Frog Fest this year as carry on luggage & everything went fine. When my bag went through the luggage car wash, it was funny to see the puzzeled look on the womans face trying to make out what the hell they were :p . Health wise they are perfect. But they aren't breeding age yet so we'll see how that goes.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Yeah but all he is bringing back is a male blue auratus, so I dont think it will make a bulge big enough for the security officers to notice.

·
Administrator
8,781 Posts
You must be a neighbor of his since he doesn't mention this?

Whenever I've had to travel with frogs - it is inevitabley 10+ frogs.

Film cannisters don't work for that. And I'm sure not going to take my chances on declaring them (though that seems to be working for people lately).

s
geckguy said:
Yeah but all he is bringing back is a male blue auratus, so I dont think it will make a bulge big enough for the security officers to notice.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
No, but I am friend with ray gurgui, and he is who he is getting the auratus from.

·
Registered
231 Posts
When I left the NWFF I was bringing two frogs back with me. Before I even left to go up to Seatle. I stoped the head security guy Asked if I would be allowed to bring frogs on the plane when I return. He said as long as they can see in the container that it would not be a problem. Just to be sure I keep all metal out of the bag they were in. Also when I was leaving one of the guys I meet up there brought back 30 some odd frogs and they were in plastic bags. He had no problem either. That is my story hope you have good as luck as I did.
Andy

·
Registered
173 Posts
froggie trips

As long as you are traveling within the US you can carry frogs on with you any time you want. It's actually better that they be carry on luggage because the checked in luggage is not in a pressurized cabin. If they are not in styrofoam then it can get really cold down there.

Now, this whole film canister thing may be detrimental to the frogs if they are left like that. These frogs are temperature sensitve, you run 93 degrees on your surface typically. Temperatures in the 90s can kill these guys. Plus film canisters are far less forgiving with oxygen exchange.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts