Dendroboard banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1581 - 1590 of 1590 Posts

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Just like they decided that the hobby should just accept their designer dart plans, they named themselves shipping experts before they'd hardly shipped anything, named themselves scientists, named their frogs "SAFE" when they can't back up the claims inherent in that title, and it's fine to shove a bunch of tincs into one sparsely planted viv, etc..etc... Oh and they decided that even though we all blasted their sleazy used car salesman marketing techniques, that it was best to just continue using them. I'm sure I've left out some other stuff but you all get the idea... It's just amazing to me that they don't get the idea :eek:
That's the stuff.

There would be no reason why the definition of a "Designer Frog" would deviate from that of a "designer" snake or any "designer" animal. It's just casual nomenclature, but a "Designer Frog" is already accepted as one in which animals/species/morphs/locales that could not normally breed in nature are bred in an effort to create something that, strictly speaking, does not occur in the wild. All hybrids are designer frogs, not all designer frogs are hybrids.

If Rick can be dogmatic, so can I.

Now I suggest that someone apply for a trademark on the phrase "Designer Frogs" and officially define it as something quite unflattering. :)

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
That's the stuff.

There would be no reason why the definition of a "Designer Frog" would deviate from that of a "designer" snake or any "designer" animal. It's just casual nomenclature, but a "Designer Frog" is already accepted as one in which animals/species/morphs/locales that could not normally breed in nature are bred in an effort to create something that, strictly speaking, does not occur in the wild. All hybrids are designer frogs, not all designer frogs are hybrids.

If Rick can be dogmatic, so can I.

Now I suggest that someone apply for a trademark on the phrase "Designer Frogs" and officially define it as something quite unflattering. :)
And suddenly the term "designer frogs" is gone from the web site. Unfortunately, now the things are even more ambiguous. They are now just calling them "rare captive bred frogs" which, obviously, is even more misleading.

US Dart Frog

·
Registered
332 Posts
If they can't sell these mixed morph frogs, they might start dumping them under false names. If they believe that they have recreated a wild frog, they certainly could believe that they have every right to sell it as such.

That is what i am worried about.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
If they can't sell these mixed morph frogs, they might start dumping them under false names. If they believe that they have recreated a wild frog, they certainly could believe that they have every right to sell it as such.

That is what i am worried about.
Exactly. And not if but when.

And what happens if customers mix their designer mixed morph garbage with other morphs or other types of mixed morph frogs? You end up with garbage and a giant mess for the hobby.

What happens when the Wascher kids get lazy or careless as kids often do? Does anyone actually think the Wascher's keep accurate records? They may just end up selling someone someone something they think is one morph when it is something else. I don't trust kids to carelessly loose track of what cup goes were, gets what label, goes in what grow out, etc.

Not to mention all their invalid and absurd assumptions and misunderstanding of the genetics, health of F1 offspring, etc etc etc. You know they're not doing any actual genetic research. At best they're making some anecdotal observations and assumptions based on what they observe but no real data or research.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Why do some people call these frogs "poision dart frogs"?

Well Rick, this is because THEY ARE POISON DART FROGS!!!! Oh, BTW, this is how you spell POISON. Idiots.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Stated another way for complete clarity, the first generation offspring (F1) of a proven pair of same species (tinctorius), but dissimilar parents in the context of variety, are themselves most definitely capable of breeding and producing 2nd generation offspring of their kind. This fact has always been disputed, but we have proven the answer.
Who the heck ever disputed that??? If they were sterile the hobby wouldn't care what the heck kind of frankenfrog you were churning out! It's wonderful that you've discovered that they are viable, but you haven't broken any new ground here. Despite your insinuated claims, you're not the first person to breed frogs from disparate locales. People that don't know better do it all the time.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Who the heck ever disputed that??? If they were sterile the hobby wouldn't care what the heck kind of frankenfrog you were churning out! It's wonderful that you've discovered that they are viable, but you haven't broken any new ground here. Despite your insinuated claims, you're not the first person to breed frogs from disparate locales. People that don't know better do it all the time.
Sounds like they're operating on the outdated definition of a hybrid which states that the progeny of hybrids cannot be fertile. Probably relying on their typical sources of information (wikipedia, ehow, etc.)

And since Rick seems to like wikipedia so much, I'll throw this out there just for fun:

"The third type of hybrid consists of crosses between populations, breeds or cultivars within a single species. This meaning is often used in plant and animal breeding, where hybrids are commonly produced and selected because they have desirable characteristics not found or inconsistently present in the parent individuals or populations. This flow of genetic material between populations or races is often called hybridization."

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
If they have truly read all of what they claim to have read, they would have known that breeding different species within the same genus are theoretically what is supposed to throw sterile offspring. The idiocy and lack of fundamental understanding of our hobby screams louder every day, buffoonery does not a scientist make.

·
Super Moderator
5,017 Posts
**After much deliberation...
This thread is going to be permanently CLOSED**

At this point there is getting to be WAY too much information here and the longer it gets the more diluted it becomes. Expecting someone to keep reading through all these posts will end up confusing them more as more information keeps getting piled on. Also, most of it is really not appropriate for the Regional Forum.

I am going to be creating a companion thread in the Lounge for new concerns of yours going forward. Please feel free to continue the conversation there all you want. Keep in mind that it is in the LOUNGE and not the Thunderdome so it will still be subject to moderation and any violations of the User Agreement will be enforced.

This decision is Final. PM's to myself or any other moderators about it will fall on deaf ears. I've let you guys run long enough with this one as it was.

The companion thread can be found here: http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/lo...fedartfrogs-companion-thread.html#post1837369

1581 - 1590 of 1590 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.