Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all!

Wasn't too sure where to post this and I am looking for some information.

I have a vague understanding that captive bred dart frogs have little to no toxins. However I was wondering if there was a species in general that had the lowest toxicity levels? The safest.

Thank you.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
They are safe in captivity. You don't need to know which is safest. In the wild, bugs eat plants high in alkaloids. The alkaloids are sequestered in the bug, and levels build higher. Eventually, the bugs are eaten by the frogs. The frogs work whatever magic they work, and turn the alkaloids to toxins.

To accidently raise the toxin levels of toxic frogs is close to impossible. You would need a huge viv, capable of fully sustaining your frogs without any additional feedings. You would have to seek out and purchase plants high in alkaloids, and fill your viv with them. After establishing those, you would need to establish an ant colony in your viv, and they would have to be ants that won't overwhelm and kill your frogs. Your tank would need to build up a backbone of bugs big enough to fully eliminate the need to feed your frogs.

This is not an easy task and won't happen accidently. To the best of my knowledge, bringing toxins back into your frogs is only theoretical, and has never been done.

A shorter answer?

All of them.

I was raising frogs when my children were very young. Max even handled them from time to time, as he helped with maintenance, feedings, tad and egg collection, etc.
Hope to see you putting a viv together soon!

·
Registered
19,329 Posts
A slightly different take than Doug....

All frogs have some level of toxicity as they also have peptides that can be toxic if ingested or rubbed on a mucous membrane. The toxins these frogs are famous for having are acquired from arthropods that acquired them from plants (alkaloids) but they also have innate peptides normally used for antimicrobial usage which can also have other biological functions. These peptides aren't typically present in huge amounts unless the frog is actively stressed see this thread here

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/be...bilis-seller-being-honest-toxicity-level.html

some comments

Ed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts