Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10g, which if you wanna see it, look at my other threads. The humidity stays around the upper 80% to the mid 90% ranges, and the temp is 70f at night and 80f during the day. The tank will have 1 brom and 9 other plant species. I was curious what dart can I add? There's a water feature too that has water 1/2-3/4 in deep. The background is clay. I'm ordering some java and leaf litter to cover up the messy peat moss. Thanks! I was thinking a thumbnail from how much ground space there might be left in the end. Maybe 1 luec? They're kind of arboreal and terrestrial, well, sort of that is lol.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Tricolors sound great for that.....or some species of thumbnails. With that you can really experiment with many of the smaller species of frogs.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I would not recommend a thumbnail species for that tank. Unfortunately, that water feature and pond area will be largely useless for the frogs as they don't need running water. That also sounds like a lot of plants for such a small tank. The important thing to remember with this is to keep the already limited amount of floorspace usable. Keep the planting simple- mountings on the background, vining plants around, but avoid planting stuff on the flat ground area. Fill that up with a nice layer of leaf litter, and maybe give a coco-hut for hiding. Also, try to gradually slope your water area so there isn't such a steep drop-off. This will make it safer for the frogs and more likely for them to use the area. Leucs are mainly terrestrial- they need floorspace more than anything. You might be able to have a single leuc in the tank depending on how you set it up, but it might just not shape up to appropriately house a dart frog.
Please post pictures once you are finished planting and such so we can suggest again.
Bryan

·
Registered
158 Posts
I would not recommend a thumbnail species for that tank. Unfortunately, that water feature and pond area will be largely useless for the frogs as they don't need running water. That also sounds like a lot of plants for such a small tank. The important thing to remember with this is to keep the already limited amount of floorspace usable. Keep the planting simple- mountings on the background, vining plants around, but avoid planting stuff on the flat ground area. Fill that up with a nice layer of leaf litter, and maybe give a coco-hut for hiding. Also, try to gradually slope your water area so there isn't such a steep drop-off. This will make it safer for the frogs and more likely for them to use the area. Leucs are mainly terrestrial- they need floorspace more than anything. You might be able to have a single leuc in the tank depending on how you set it up, but it might just not shape up to appropriately house a dart frog.
Please post pictures once you are finished planting and such so we can suggest again.
Bryan
RE keeping Tricolors, I would disagree that a running water feature is "generally useless" - movement keeps it fresh and helps keep it clean. Dont want my little gems playing it dirty water. My tricolors frolic in my mini pond. I also keep some java in the bottom (like a frog couch) - I do agree to having tons of leaf litter. I use live oak (these guys are little and they like to chase food into the leaves) the live oak are small so they ruffles the leaves w no issues looking for that springtail happy meal.

cheers

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Sure, I was referring to Ranitomeya species when I said I don't recommend thumbnails. Anthonyi/ tricolor may use water more, in which case a filter or moving water to keep it clean may be useful, but the reduced amount of space in this tank from the pond, background, waterfall, etc. still severely restricts the number of frogs you could keep in it.
Bryan

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'd have to agree with Brian in a 10 gallon vert a water feature is useless and takes up too much floor space. The max area in the bottom can only 10 by 12 with no plants or background. I would never put a water feature in any thing less that a 55. Having more leaf litter is going to be far more beneficial for the frogs than a water feature. I've tried a few water features in the past and my frogs could have cared less. It was more for my enjoyment than theirs.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Be careful with those temps. I think you might be better suited to keeping in the low to mid 70s during the day as well as the night.

-Matt

Sent from my T-Mobile G1 using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts