Dendroboard banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question friends. If you’re fairly new to the hobby and end up raising up tadpoles to froglets, what do you do with them if you don’t intend on keeping them? Sell them? If so, to who/where?
Plant Terrestrial plant Grass Wood Natural landscape

Thanks for your help! Pfa

· Registered
124 Posts
You can sell them to local pet stores, or more easily trade for store credit if you find it valuable.
You can also sell them in the classified section of this forum once you've met the criteria.
Another popular place to sell herps is morphmarket.com

· Registered
209 Posts
I used to sell the cheaper species to local exotic pet shopts and the more expensive species on the Marketplace on this forum. Once they were at the age to sell, I never had a problem...plenty of willing buyers.

· Administrator
7,621 Posts
Online on DB > online on general herp classified > sell/trade to dedicated herp shop > sell/trade to general pet store > sell on CL. In the order of best to worst, with the last two being a real challenge to actually recommend.

Keep in mind that online sales take a fair amount of research on shipping procedures and outlay on materials. Also, do know starting in the 2023 tax year (was supposed to be 2022, but was deferred) third party payment processors have an annual threshold of $600 at which point they will report those transactions to the IRS (which are legally supposed to be claimed as income in any amount).

· Registered
884 Posts
Online on DB > online on general herp classified > sell/trade to dedicated herp shop > sell/trade to general pet store > sell on CL. In the order of best to worst, with the last two being a real challenge to actually recommend.

Keep in mind that online sales take a fair amount of research on shipping procedures and outlay on materials. Also, do know starting in the 2023 tax year (was supposed to be 2022, but was deferred) third party payment processors have an annual threshold of $600 at which point they will report those transactions to the IRS (which are legally supposed to be claimed as income in any amount).
Where does selling at expos fall in your list?

There are no pet stores in my area that keep their herps to the minimal standards that would make me comfortable with selling my animals too.

· Administrator
7,621 Posts
I didn't mention expos since I don't think it is a very realistic option for someone with a pair or two of breeders. A $50 table fee, all the equipment to set it up, and a day blown isn't a great way to sell three frogs to someone's kid you'll get a refund request from because they killed them. A little overly pessimistic maybe, but not too far off base. For someone with more animals (numbers and variety), it makes a little more sense.

Anyway, I think expo sales might be third or fourth on my recommendation list, so before or after selling to a local reptile shop. It is much more of a pain, but at least in theory the breeder has more control over who they sell to.

I should mention that I do in fact wholesale lower priced frogs to a local reptile shop. One factor in all this that affects me more than it might other people is that FedEx is a 100 mile round trip drop off for me. Different pros and cons for different people's situations might cause the list order to vary.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Great info thank you

· Registered
34 Posts
I agree that selling frogs to a petstore isn't the best idea. I have had several stories speaking about the care and therefore lack of/neglect around some of the bigger brand ones.

Speaking about the expo's funny enough I talked to Socratic Monologue for a while there about this issue. There was a dart frog guy I bought from that seemed to be only in for the profit. I find out he's doing shady stuff behind the scenes with illegal imports. Not only that he rears his tadpoles badly. He didn't seem to care where his animals went. Bad example of a seller and last sale from me as well.

The reason I bring that up is selling and rehoming frogs should be a vetted process in which one knows the frogs have a chance to a good life. I wanted to sell to my local reptile store but, I want to vet my process a little more. I haven't had luck on here but, maybe somewhere else might have more such as craigslist (vetting buyers as appropriate!). Wherever you sell make sure you can vet your buyers otherwise expect what Socratic tells you. The kid killing the frogs is a very common occurrence which sadly is more often than not a very common tale.

· Administrator
7,621 Posts
u could sell on Facebook
I don't think recommending someone violate the Terms of Use of a website is a good idea. Online animal sales that are completely legit are the only ones that make keepers as a group look good.

· Administrator
7,621 Posts
There are some good threads in the archives, I know.

The SYR guidelines are pasted into that post, but would be worth looking at the original on SYR since they've likely changed since that was posted.

Might be worth a thread of its own, since we haven't had a thorough discussion here on shipping in a while. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts