Dendroboard banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Quote:

A small selection of generally accessible information:

end quote.

Interesting stuff. Thank you for providing it. :) Note that Myers (1978) is the original species description, and as such should be considered as very tentative in relation to any subsequent study. Bolivar and Lotters (2004) seems to no longer exist (it was a species entry for IUCN's website).

Actually, the quotes do confirm some of the accepted care guidelines for terribs: gravel in areas with little tree cover should be expected to dry out quickly after rainfall -- this is in line with the recommendations for drying substrate regardless of the material (leaf litter could well substitute for gravel practically speaking, since it is almost certainly the relative dryness that matters, not the actual material; the frogs aren't known to exploit gravel in any way, to my knowledge).

Regarding humidity: captive herps don't tolerate the high humidity the way the do in the wild, likely (my hypothesis) because of the severe lack of air movement in captivity relative to wild conditions. This is true for almost all captive herps, and has been proven time and time again over many decades by many ill and dead and 'hard to keep in captivity' and 'failing to thrive' animals.

My favorite quote is this (emphasis added): "They tend to live near smaller streams since forest along the larger streams has either been cleared for agriculture or is dense secondary growth forest." We tend to forget that there is no wild habitat unaffected by human alteration, and animal behaviors deviate from 'natural' (whatever that means) in response. Simply because a species does X in the wild doesn't mean that X is beneficial to that species.
Thank you for this interesting additional information (y) I will keep the humidity at 80% during the day.

info:
Stefan Lötters

Sean Stewart M.D.

Simón Bolívar
No website is available for Simón Bolívar, I could not find it. I am sure that he has been active in the frog world at least until October 2020. Below a workshop / article

Charles W. Myers
Dr. Charles W. Myers, Curator Emeritus in the Department of Herpetology died on September 4, 2018

·
Registered
64 Posts
Pilea Involucrata "Moon Valley" is a beautiful plant. Unfortunately not from the locations where our dart frogs reside. I think this plant comes from China ...
Pilea involucrata isn't Pilea "moon valley", that's Pilea mollis. Either way, both Pilea mollis and Pilea involucrata come from Central and South America. Personally, I like Pilea involucrata better anyway.
@Robru as a landscape architect I care and try to use only native plants in my designs and work.
If you mind saying, what state are you from? I'm really interested in native plants in landscaping as well, but mainly just native plant restoration and identification work. I'm from Minnesota and we have a lot of nice remnant prairies near where I live. Sorry to get off topic.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I'm in PA. Native prairie restoration and maintenance is a really fascinating topic though.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts