Dendroboard banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This stuff is horrible compared to GE silicone. My 72 gallon tank I am doing right now had a little section left to add silicone to. Very small area. I was out of the GE silicone so went to a hardware store localy. All they sold was DAP silicone. This one tube of it I used will not stop smelling, and it is strong as heck smelling. It smells like vinager. Funny thing is the GE brand didn't smell horrible at all and the smell quickly went away. I have left this tank out all day and last night had the window open in the garage. And this tank still smells strong. I would advise on not using DAP products, I now will not. Anyone with similar experience with DAP?

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
This stuff is horrible compared to GE silicone. My 72 gallon tank I am doing right now had a little section left to add silicone to. Very small area. I was out of the GE silicone so went to a hardware store localy. All they sold was DAP silicone. This one tube of it I used will not stop smelling, and it is strong as heck smelling. It smells like vinager. Funny thing is the GE brand didn't smell horrible at all and the smell quickly went away. I have left this tank out all day and last night had the window open in the garage. And this tank still smells strong. I would advise on not using DAP products, I now will not. Anyone with similar experience with DAP?
If the first tube did not smell of vinegar it is because it utlizes a different curing process and releases ammonia. These are considered to be less offensive to the public than the ones that smell of vinegar. There is some concern that the organotins could cause problems as they are known to have bioactivity. Search the thread titled bioseal and make your own decision.

Ed

Reactions: Pumilo

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I'll take the one that reeks of vinegar as it could be a safer product.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts