Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently did a day by day picture journal of a clutch of orange terribilis eggs. I think they were in the tank for 2 days or so before I started but the first couple of days are really uneventful anyways.

Day 1 group shot, 15 eggs (all of which hatched)

Day 1 closer pic

Day 2

Day 3

Day 4

Day 5

Day 6

Day 7

Day 8

Day 9

Day 10

Hatched between days 10 and 11

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Haha, I saw the first photo before the species name and I knew exactly what species it was. My yellow terribs lay exactly like this - always in the edge of the Petri dish. Congratulations and thanks for the photo log!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Pretty Awesome, Cant wait to see the rest

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Thanks for the photo blog! It is great to see developmental stages photos. 1 it lets you know what YOUR eggs/tads should look like during normal development, and 2, it's just plain fascinating! LOL!

JBear

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you have tads for sale? willing to ship?
I am willing to sell tads but have never shipped them. I have shipped frogs and fish and would assume shipping tads would be somewhere in the middle, but have never done it. I have, as of this morning 14 froglets from this pair out of the water (some which are close to shippable), over 50 tads in the water and came home last night to this...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome photos thanks for posting.
Do you have more like up to day 30 and beyond!!

Steve
I don't...it is actually surprisingly difficult for me to find 30 extra seconds every day to take a pic. I'll get around to it someday...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Nice pics, I'm currently doing the same thing with some luec eggs. Mine are on day 6 and look a lot like your day 6 pics. Its interesting to see a different species developing at about the same rate. I would of thought the larger the frog the longer it would take.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Now you just need to do daily tad development :) or a time lapse of the eggs developing which I might try and think it would be awsome

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I though about trying to do a time lapse of the eggs and would love to do a day-by-day of tads, maybe from lay to morph...but I'm lazy so it hasn't happened yet ;-)

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
James, how do you incubate you terribilis eggs? It would be awesome to compare notes. I'm using the moss in a vented 16 oz method and I'm not having great success with it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I keep the eggs in petri dishes. I let the adults lay in the bottom then when I pull them I put the lid on...I normally leave the eggs with the pair for a week or so after they lay, seem to get better hatches that way.

When they hatch out I move the tads to sterilite 'shoeboxes', one clutch to a box. I put a half inch or so of dechlorinated tap water, about a square inch of Indian Almond leaf and a little java moss in there. After a week or so I will double the amount of water. Food in every day or 2 and after 6-8 weeks froglets out...no water changes, minimal water replacement (keeping the lid on keeps evap way down). Temps from 71ish to 76ish.

I have morphed out over 50 (maybe 60, would need to check my notes) froglets from the orange pair I have now and (***KNOCK ON WOOD***) have not had a single incidence of SLS or any other issues. I occasionally loose eggs but if I have a week old tad I can pretty much count on having a froglet!

If I have left out any details feel free to ask here or in PM. I don't mind sharing my methods but will also be happy to discuss in private. I'm curious on how your method deviates from mine, please let me know, maybe we can identify some issues...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Also...I'll try to take some pics tonight of the various stages in the process...try being the operative word ;-)

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Thanks James. Do you put the Petri dishes in any other container? Since they are not sealed (there are ridges in the petri dish lid to give a tiny gap all the way around), what do you do to stop them drying out during development?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts