Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After some cleaning up my tank. I saw something out of the corner of my eye. it was my Dendrobates Ventrimaculatus i thought had died a few months back.

my question is does he look in good shape? also since I lost the frog for months(about 6). should i leave him in a temp tank? just to make sure he's doing ok.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
No, he is REALLY hungry! If you have LOTS of springtails, you can fatten him up in the viv. If not, pull him and put him in a plastic shoebox sized container with some spagnum and leaf litter. That way he'll be more likely to find the springtails you do feed him. If he is still good and strong and can easily take Melonogasters, things will go a lot smoother. But he looks pretty slender and may need to fatten up for a while on microfauna. Jeremy Huff and I'm sure others, may be able to help you with some springtail cultures.

Reactions: Neontra

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
as i said i thought he died along time ago. but he's been pulled to a temp tank.(190oz clear tub with moss and leaf litter) I do have springtales i can feed him. i just hope his temp home will be ok until be fatens up.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just a little update... since moving the frog to the temp tank. he's be really bold and eating well. he's been eating so well i've been running low on springtales. time will tell if i can move him back in his normal tank

·
Registered
13 Posts
Glad to hear the little guy is doing better.

Just out of curiosity, was this guy in a group or solo tank? Did you continue feeding, or was the tank filled with microfauna? If so, how heavily populated was the tank? I'd just like an idea of how long a thumb can live off of a good population of microfauna in a tank without supplemental feeding.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts