Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend has reported that both of his pair of leucomelas have been found sitting underwater--snout and all, on several occasions. Has anyone heard of this? Mine will hunt in shallow water or sit in bromeliad cups of water, but I've never heard of any darts deliberately submerging entirely.

Patty

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
My vents hide underwater all the time. By the way good to see you on dendroboard

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are they completely submerged? My vents will go under rocks in a waterway, but their heads are sticking out. This guy claims the leucs were in deep water, completely submerged.

Thanks for the welcome.

Patty

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
I moved my leucs today to a new cage and one of them jumped in the pond feature of my tank to escape the spoon and pitcher. I freaked out, but he/she seems ok.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
D. leucomelas under water

Yes, sometimes my galacs will fall in the aquarium portion of the paludarium and swim to shore rapidly, but they don't hang out under water on purpose. What this guy is reporting seems to be a different kind of behavior that makes no sense to me, because it is more like a dwarf African aquatic frog, but not as persistent. I have no reason to suspect he is making this up, because he just isn't the type to invent things. I just promised to check it out with everyone here to see if there were any other experiences or someone would know a reason why it would occur.

Patty

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
My tricolor did it all the time into their stream as well as one on exhibit @ NAIB, especially the juvies that hadn't colored up yet. They'd dive under rocks in the water and stay there until I'd almost have a heart attack and dig them out. Never had one drown, they usually show up landside after I stop pestering the tank.

This is a very similar behavior to native frog species like Leopard, peckerels, and what not diving into the place they think they will be safest. If you know the pond/stream well you could pull the frogs right out from under the rocks close to where they dove in. If tricolors live near waterholes, this behavior makes sense. Leucs might have a similar behavior.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
My vents stay completely submerged in their waterbowl, and film canisters for a few minutes, they come up for air then go back down.

G

·
Hi!

Sometimes one of my young Luecs will dive into the water and swim to hide under a rock when it gets spooked, just like a true aquatic frog. Guess it still remembers it's care free tadpole days. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts