Dendroboard banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
0.0.3 Dendrobates Leucomelas
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, enjoy pictures of my beautiful group of 0.0.3 Leucs and their enclosure.
Plant Wood Branch Terrestrial plant Trunk

My main aim with this build was to maximise usable space/surfaces, minimise negative space, and increase hiding spots in imitation of what I understand to be Leucomelas’s natural habitat. This consisted of a typical rainforest floor/understory, with very few plants growing from the ground, lots of fallen branches and cork hollows and, of course, a hefty amount of leaf litter.

Plant Terrestrial plant Vegetation Organism Wood

I currently have a 0.0.3 group of 5-6 month old Leucs, aiming to eventually have a 4.2 breeding group long term - spot the frog in the picture above!
Plant Organism Terrestrial plant Wood Aquatic plant

Still experimenting with lighting, and want to test my hypothesis that darts seem to prefer low light (but not pitch black).

If requested I can provide more detailed description of the viv and a plant list (it’s not very long), but broadly I tried to include Aroids that occur in the natural range of the frogs (P. Atabapoense, P. Verrucosum, M. Adansonii), a couple larger Vriesea Era plants, many smaller neoregelia in the “canopy” and then various creepers such as Solanum and Marcgravia species. The odd Syngonium, selaginella and mosses are also dotted around.

Stick around to see how the viv grows in and to see more pics of my lovely frogs! I’m already in love with them…
Poison dart frog Frog Plant True frog Organism

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow. Beautiful viv and wonderful frog. Where did you get the viv? What brand is that?
thanks very much!

I bought it second hand from another frogger, but it hadn’t been used at all. It’s a custom viv from Tropicalfactories - UK company that I believe no longer makes vivs

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Absolutely gorgeous- gives me something to strive for with my own leucs. I'd love to see how this looks 6 months to a year from now, given time to grow in.
Thanks for your kind words.

I’ll definitely update this thread as I go - the main growth I’m looking to see is on the Aroids I mention, plus the creeper plants and selaginella.

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The frogs are settling in really nicely, they are a bit more reclusive now than in the first few days as they have found their hiding spots. Still it's great to see them exploring and feeding particularly during the middle of the day, and they have definitely learned where the feeding station is (Pic 3, by the banana)!

One frog morphed out before the other two, and I'm hoping she is female while the other two are male given size and body shape but it's too early to tell and mainly speculation at this point.

Either way, 'she' is the most active, and is always climbing in all parts of the viv, even sleeping high up in a crevice of the cork bark mosaic. My only gripe with her is that she's too photogenic and doesn't give the others a chance to have their portraits done 😂
Plant Leaf Terrestrial plant Leaf vegetable Grass
Eye Terrestrial plant Plant Terrestrial animal Poison dart frog

Fire salamander Poison dart frog Terrestrial animal Terrestrial plant Amphibian

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.