Dendroboard banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m wanting to breed my D. Auratus and D. Leuc. So a hybrid, yes. But I will be keeping what I get for myself.
I have
1x D. Auratus Super Blue
1x D. Leuc
1x D. Auratus Green & Black
I want to know, can a leuc and auratus breed, and how often? My Auratus breed and I’ve have 3 clutches so far.
My Leuc keeps calling, especially when I play other males calling. Does this mean he wants to mate?

·
Premium Member
Cobalts, Azureus, Green & Bronze Auratus, Northern Variabilis, Leucomelas & Vanzolinis
407 Posts
LRM, you may want to rethink this post and possibly delete it. That is unless your trolling and wanting to start an endless deluge of negative and insulting posts.

Mixed breeding is looked down on. That's especially true on a forum such as dendroboard. You may want to ask such a questions on facebook instead. You won't receive any helpful answers to your inquiry here. You've been warned :eek:

Reactions: Tijl

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LRM, you may want to rethink this post and possibly delete it. That is unless your trolling and wanting to start an endless deluge of negative and insulting posts.

Mixed breeding is looked down on. That's especially true on a forum such as dendroboard. You may want to ask such a questions on facebook instead. You won't receive any helpful answers to your inquiry here. You've been warned :eek:
Can I ask what is the problem with mixed breeding? I know about creating an animal which isn’t pure then putting it into the pet trade, but that’s not what I want to do. Is there other points?

and yes, I will delete this if it turns into people attacking me.

·
Super Moderator
3,354 Posts
I'm sincerely and non-insultingly curious to know how the 'keeping them all for oneself' thing works. I've read of people having that plan before, but never got details.

Darts live ten or more years, and have to be segregated by sex lest they breed (and in groups that work together given territoriality issues, which honestly no one knows the details of for interspecific hybrids). How many vivs are planned/set up for the three clutches of mutts you have currently in the works? How many more planned for the planned interspecific hybrids? And how many for separating the three frogs you have now to stop them from breeding once you have sufficient morph-cross-mutts and hybrids to care for?

Sharing the details of how to plan for the frankly overwhelming (to me, anyway) logistical challenges of caring for all these animals for their entire life span would be very valuable to future readers of this thread who have similar intentions.

Reactions: Kmc

·
Registered
77 Posts
And if you die they then get given away and released into to hobby.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And if you die they then get given away and released into to hobby.
With them living 10-20ish years I most likley wont be dead, and if for whatever reason I am then many people around me also keep them so they'll be going to them.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unless someone can give me the answer I'm looking for or someone tells me a reason why hybrids are bad then the post will be left here. The problem of them not being a pure line and then them going into the pet trade isn't a problem, the 1-2 frogs will be mine.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
And I still wont know why its not ethical until someone tells me.
It's unethical for a number of reasons..

In the first place it's very unethical to mix species (that were never ment to be mixed in nature) solely for your entertainment and pleasure.
There is not a single benefit aside from this.. It's simple common sense.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's unethical for a number of reasons..

In the first place it's very unethical to mix species (that were never ment to be mixed in nature) solely for your entertainment and pleasure.
There is not a single benefit aside from this.. It's simple common sense.
Is there a single downside from it though? They are perfectly happy, no problems with each other at all.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Is there a single downside from it though? They are perfectly happy, no problems with each other at all.
That is pure and only your interpratation of the 'beeing happy'. Frogs are not human..

You are just keeping them alive and experimenting with them instead of providing them with the best life for them possible in captivity. You while idea and way of animal keeping is just disgusting if you only want to play God over these animals.

Again, an ethical way of animal keeping (let alone Breeding) is providing them the best life possible. Not for personal benefit and entertainment.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is pure and only your interpratation of the 'beeing happy'. Frogs are not human..

You are just keeping them alive and experimenting with them instead of providing them with the best life for them possible in captivity. You while idea and way of animal keeping is just disgusting if you only want to play God over these animals.

Again, an ethical way of animal keeping (let alone Breeding) is providing them the best life possible. Not for personal benefit and entertainment.
Do you own any other animals then dart frogs? If so, what?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Yes, I can’t tell if they are actually happy but I can tell they are perfectly healthy, not once has there been any aggression, they hop around together, they sleep in the same coconut hide even though there’s 4 different ones. They definitely aren’t enemies.
I asked the question of do you own any other animals other then dart frogs. My point is that most people don’t have the pure wild animal anymore, because it’s the pet trade. Are you against a banana ball python, are you against a tangerine leopard gecko? No, you most likely aren’t.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Yes, I can’t tell if they are actually happy but I can tell they are perfectly healthy, not once has there been any aggression, they hop around together, they sleep in the same coconut hide even though there’s 4 different ones. They definitely aren’t enemies.
I asked the question of do you own any other animals other then dart frogs. My point is that most people don’t have the pure wild animal anymore, because it’s the pet trade. Are you against a banana ball python, are you against a tangerine leopard gecko? No, you most likely aren’t.
To your last point, you can probably do a little searching on here about hybrids and if you do, you will come to the quick realization that most of us on this forum are strictly against it. You will likely find references to the ball python trade as a perfect example of what we don't want the dart frog hobby to become.

You can have all the intentions in the world for your hybrids to never leave your house. Fact of the matter is nothing every rarely goes as planned. That alone is the reason most people are adamantly against hybrids ever being created in the first place.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Again, you are only keeping them alive. You even risking or exposing them to potential agression said enough for me.
It's clear to you have absolutely no idea of interest in what you are doing since you don't care to know and are not acting on behang of the interest and the well beeing of the animals you keep.

For me it end here since your topic is only made to troll since it is very clear your mind already has been made up a long time aggo about everything you 'wanted to know'.

And yes those are abominations, engineerd/man made creatures represent absolutely everything what's wrong with mankind.

Animals are living creatures just like us, not an luxury item or experiment. But I guess that's not how you feel about them and you rather play god.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
it is very clear your mind already has been made up a long time aggo about everything you 'wanted to know'.

[/QUOTE]
How am I just keeping them alive? Aggression will occur with the same type of dart frog.
Haha, my question wasn’t even about keeping hybrids.
Going through your Instagram, I see you have a Sphynx cat... well if you don’t think that animals should be bred to our own liking why do you have one? Literally, a cat with no fur which get multiple health problems just for your own entertainment.

anyways, goodbye.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
You realy need to do more research about mixing species, it's not only agression that could be an issue for the animals you are mixing.. That just proves you have no idea what you are doing and you just keep animals for your entertainment at any cost and risk. There is absolutely nothing that shows in your questions of comments that you CARE about the wellbeing of your animals.

Exactly, your question was not about keeping hybrids, but ENGENIERING them..

Yes , my wife adopted a spyhnx from a shelter 5 years aggo. I personaly do not breed not promote keeping spyhnxes or animals for entertainment. I also don't keep them with any other animal that light be a treath to her unlike you. You are correct, this type of cat should never have existed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Practical reasons for not interspecies breeding:

One, it is stressful for the frogs. Dart frogs are already territorial and different species only really breed in captivity because people make them do it by keeping them in close quarters. You can end up with sick or hurt frogs by trying it.

Two, it increases the risk of genetic sicknesses. Things you won't realize until froglets are several months old and their forelegs are shrunken or they just die randomly.

Three, the frogs you get will not just be cool morphs because you made pretty frogs have sex. They'll probably be boring or mediocre, or worse, look very similar to actual frog species (and at that point why not just do same species breeding?). You're not going to invent the next banana ball python by breeding two of the most commonly owned dart frog species. You're just going to have a lot of ugly frogs you can't give away.

So it's really not worth your energy or the health of your frogs to cross breed.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.