Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
I just add a little more liquid to mine, thats all I do different. Maybe someone will post something better to add.

I've heard of people using baby cereal, and some other things. I've been thinking about adding some baby cereal to mine just to get some more vitamins to my frogs. Who knows if it will work or not.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
This is the best media that I have used
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup baker's yeast
3/4 cup apple juice
1 tablespoon of herptivite
2:1 ratio of vinegar to water
1 to 1 and a half cups potato flakes (enough to get a good consistancy)
I boil it all for about 1-2 minutes
then I put a little dash of baker's yeast on top.

·
Registered
666 Posts
The one that most of us here in seattle have used and has served us very well for years is ...
1 cup molassses
1 cup white vinagar
2 cups flax seeds
1 cup corn meal
1 3lb 15 oz apple
5-6 cups oatmeal
2-3 tbls methlp.
1 cup brewers yeast
boil the faxseed in water , hint empty the applesauce into final container.use empty for water is prefect amount for boiling flaxseed . boil for 15-20 min. add all ingredients except for yeast (do that once cool) mix throughly add water if needed . let cool add yeast . put in refrig. use as needed makes enough for me to make ff's for 100+ frogs each month ! try it you will not be dissapointed . Also I found potato flakes to smell too much .
Happy frogging Darren

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Once I have made it I freeze it in gladware containers, and break off a chunk at let it thaw, add some yeast, then some flies. Darren I have not had a problems with potato mediums as long as I use vinegar when I make them, in my current media I use 1/3 cup media, 1/4 cup water, and 1/4 vinegar, and you can only smell vinegar, and that is when you have it right up to your nose. Plus a gallon batch costs less than 4 dollars to make.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i will try one of those medieums, maybe both. I have only maid the dry mixtures, potatoe flakes, with pwder sugar, and moss. I use white vinegar in mine, the smell isnt bad until about the 3rd or 4th week. then its fairly nasty. plus very watery.

aj

·
Registered
666 Posts
The mixture that we use is rather cheep compaired to most dry mixes . Also the extra yeast for flys , produces tons of flys !!! Have also been told by many top breeders that the fatty acids & vitamins produced by flax seeds is the biggest advantage compaired to other ff media . Just my experince .I'm sure we all use what we find works for the amount of frogs we keep , what is cheepest , and the best first and formost that we can provide for our frogs .

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
Ok what they heck is flax seeds? :)

Darren Meyer said:
The mixture that we use is rather cheep compaired to most dry mixes . Also the extra yeast for flys , produces tons of flys !!! Have also been told by many top breeders that the fatty acids & vitamins produced by flax seeds is the biggest advantage compaired to other ff media . Just my experince .I'm sure we all use what we find works for the amount of frogs we keep , what is cheepest , and the best first and formost that we can provide for our frogs .

·
Registered
666 Posts
Also if you are doing hydi try placing them in the dark for 2 weeks . Was pretty gross the amont of production , looks like somthing that they would make you eat on Fear Factor , the whole thing is all maggots and you need to add more media as it's all gone and they (the maggots)will starve if you don't !

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Flax seed is easy to get, it has a bunch of vitamins and fatty acids. Never used it in fly media though, but have in sugar glider food to promote good health.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
About how many cultures will you get out of the flax seed recipe? Well, if that's not possible to say, how much total do you get in cups? Can it be frozen? Can you leave out the methl parben? Thanks.

·
Registered
173 Posts
tegosept

Methyl paraben is a mold/fungus inhibitor. The market name is usually tegosept. Almost crutial in hydei cultures because they take so long to start producing, gives mold plenty of time to take hold first.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I'd have to say . I get about 6 puonds of media. I do not freeze as I use it all within a month. As far as amount of cultures go , depends on the culture containers that you use . I use mason jars w/ coffie filters. If you do have a small amount of frogs , try to break the mixture in half . I don't see the reason that you coulden't freeze . BTW off the subject a little it tastes pretty good . I ve always wanted to make cookies out of it and serve them at WADS meetings !! If you do have just a few frogs try Ed's fly meat , their mix works well also ,don't know about the ingredents or value that it has for frogs .

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ya i tend to only make 4 cultures every 2 weeks for only 4 blue sipaliwini tincs. I just started feeding them d hydei and they are having a time adjusting to the larger food. they are 11-10 months old, big enough but its fun trying to watch em eat flys that are about 3 times bigger then wingless/flightless. but those hydei eat the media super fast.

aj

G

·
0 Posts
How do u deal with having aenough hydei to feed ur froglets? I have 3, 6 month old luecs and if it takes 3 weeks atleast to start producing u need alot of cultures.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Easy. You just make another culture right after the last one starts producing. My hydei cultures usually last at least 2 weeks, which is long enough for the next one to get started. You can also have them on rotating schedules, IE start a new one every two weeks.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts