Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning, when opening the rubbermaid in which I'm temporarily housing my trio of D. fantasticus, the frogs scattered, hopping madly everywhere, as usual.

One, however, hopped a couple of times, and then stopped "dead" in its tracks, motionless on the floor, with its body positioned mid-jump.

I watched it for a minute or two, then gently picked it up by its hind leg and examined it. It was still breathing, but the only other movement I could see was a gentle twitch of its limbs.

I placed it on a Pothos leaf, and left the room. When I came back 5 minutes later, the little guy was awake and alert, as though nothing had happened.

The question is: what *did* happen? Is this something I need to be concerned about? How can I avoid this in the future?

Finding these guys was a rare treat, I'd hate to lose even one of them.

Thanks for your insight.

-John

·
Administrator
8,733 Posts
Did the limbs stretch out in a spasming motion?

If so - this sounds an awful lot like what used to happen with my D. casteoneticus.

D. fantasticus are very nervous frogs till they get situated and comfortable in a tank. They're still a little jumpy after that even.

It wouldn't surprise me if the frog was literally, almost scared to death.

Close call. I'd try to get their permenant tank done ASAP as they will be much more comfortable having plants and cover.

s

G

·
Mine did that a few time when I had them for the first few weeks till they settled in. I remember asking a few people about it and come to find out a few of them did see similar things with their. Like Scott said get the tank done and let them settle in ASAP.
Brian

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks very much for the replies. I'm going to add some leaf litter and some more Pothos / philodendron in the tank to give them cover until the main tank's done. That, and I won't disturb them as much as I currently do. Awfully hard, though... they're just so cool!

-John

·
Administrator
8,733 Posts
It's understandable to be excited with them John - they're very cool frogs.

The cover will make them much more comfortable but you need to get cracking on that permenant tank also!

Good luck.

s

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
Wow, mine are just the opposite, they are very bold, and seem to be out all the time. They do scatter when I open to feed them, but nothing too bad. I do have leaf litter in my new tanks, and I think it has made a bid difference. I have added some to my old vent tank, but do not think they have been out to notice.

jbates said:
This morning, when opening the rubbermaid in which I'm temporarily housing my trio of D. fantasticus, the frogs scattered, hopping madly everywhere, as usual.

One, however, hopped a couple of times, and then stopped "dead" in its tracks, motionless on the floor, with its body positioned mid-jump.

I watched it for a minute or two, then gently picked it up by its hind leg and examined it. It was still breathing, but the only other movement I could see was a gentle twitch of its limbs.

I placed it on a Pothos leaf, and left the room. When I came back 5 minutes later, the little guy was awake and alert, as though nothing had happened.

The question is: what *did* happen? Is this something I need to be concerned about? How can I avoid this in the future?

Finding these guys was a rare treat, I'd hate to lose even one of them.

Thanks for your insight.

-John

G

·
Hey John,
My brother and I have quite a few of these cool little frogs. They are one of the more skiddish frogs that we have. I have also witnessed a Fantasticus fein death. I would not however rush to put a few juvi Thumbs into a full size tank, for a few reasons. One reason being, you will want to keep your new frogs in quarantine for at least a couple of weeks to make sure they are healthy. During this time, in a smaller container, the food they are given is more easily monitered. Any meds or vitamins dusted on flys are easier to regulate. The frogs are very jumpy,(no pun intended) in a large tank, an already freaked out frog would be hard to recapture if needed. I have housed many different species in shoebox style containers. Some of them for a decent length of time. In my opinion this environment, when adequately planted, is a comfortable, healthy home. I know that it is not as pretty, but I would not rush to the big house. Best of luck,

Rich Frye

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I added some more philodendron cuttings to the rubbermaid shoebox in which they're currently kept. They seem a lot more content: I can leave the lid open and watch them forage under the leaves. All three of them seem to be doing well on D. melanogaster and one week crickets dusted in Dendrocare.

It's going to take a bit of time for me to put together the main tank; I want to build something quite nice, with a slow water trickle and an overall fern/moss theme, along with the requisite broms and film canisters. It's too bad I had to get the frogs first, but when you have a chance to get three subadult D. fantasticus, well, it's kinda hard to pass up. :wink:

The finished tank will be a 20 gal hex by Oceanic. I plan to silicone a coco panel to one, or maybe two of the walls and have a drip slowly, but constantly, wet them. I'm not sure about the bottom... I'm thinking either a false bottom or a water bottom with peat brick islands, as shown on vivaria.nl. I'm really enamoured with the Dutch style vivaria. Truly beautiful.

take care!
-John

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
If you have them in a temp tank another good thing to do is cover 3 sides with paper. It will make them feel more safe.

jbates said:
I added some more philodendron cuttings to the rubbermaid shoebox in which they're currently kept. They seem a lot more content: I can leave the lid open and watch them forage under the leaves. All three of them seem to be doing well on D. melanogaster and one week crickets dusted in Dendrocare.

It's going to take a bit of time for me to put together the main tank; I want to build something quite nice, with a slow water trickle and an overall fern/moss theme, along with the requisite broms and film canisters. It's too bad I had to get the frogs first, but when you have a chance to get three subadult D. fantasticus, well, it's kinda hard to pass up. :wink:

The finished tank will be a 20 gal hex by Oceanic. I plan to silicone a coco panel to one, or maybe two of the walls and have a drip slowly, but constantly, wet them. I'm not sure about the bottom... I'm thinking either a false bottom or a water bottom with peat brick islands, as shown on vivaria.nl. I'm really enamoured with the Dutch style vivaria. Truly beautiful.

take care!
-John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts