Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all. I'm positively giddy! My azureus laid their first clutch of eggs today!

There are 8, very large eggs in a dish under the coco hut, but before I move them, I'd like to know a few things.

1) What do fertile D. azureus eggs look like? The centers of mine are black balls, with a tiny, greyish spot in the center.

2) *Should* I move them?

3) If I do move them, I assume the standard 72-76 degrees Fahrenheit, dechlorinated tapwater up to 3/4 the height of the eggs, daily misting rules apply. Is this correct?

4) What foods do you recommend for the tadpoles?

5) I've heard recommendations for exposing the tadpoles to UV. Can anyone clarify this?

Thanks so much, my wife and I are just ecstatic to see these eggs! Even if the first clutch is bad, as I've heard they often are, I'm so glad they're actually breeding!

Thanks for any help you could offer.

-John

G

·
Well, i cant answer any of those questions, but a can give you a big congratulations! i hope they all turn out well and good luck!

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
Good eggs look black/dark gray and shinny. What i do is remove them after 24 hours and then place the dish they are on in a small glad container. I put a wet paper towel in the bottom first, and then close it up.

I check them every day or so. The way I understand it the eggs SHOULD not be exposed to UV light, but it does help the tads. After a few days they should look like this you can see them starting to develope. Bad eggs will start to look white or light gray. I do not remove bad eggs, but some others do. At least from my few clutches I think I would do more harm to the rest of the good eggs, if I tried to remove the bad ones.

I do not mist daily as they stay plenty moist in the closed glad container.

I use Spirulina, and chlorella mixed 50:50, or you can use tropical fish food. Patrick at Saurian has a good page with info here:
http://www.saurian.net/htm/info_frogslaideggs.htm

I'm sure some others will offer more information. I am still new to breeding, but have my first few tads with legs about to come out soon, and so far I have had very good luck. I used the methods I described above, and a lot of information from others here.

Good luck!

jbates said:
Hi, all. I'm positively giddy! My azureus laid their first clutch of eggs today!

There are 8, very large eggs in a dish under the coco hut, but before I move them, I'd like to know a few things.

1) What do fertile D. azureus eggs look like? The centers of mine are black balls, with a tiny, greyish spot in the center.

2) *Should* I move them?

3) If I do move them, I assume the standard 72-76 degrees Fahrenheit, dechlorinated tapwater up to 3/4 the height of the eggs, daily misting rules apply. Is this correct?

4) What foods do you recommend for the tadpoles?

5) I've heard recommendations for exposing the tadpoles to UV. Can anyone clarify this?

Thanks so much, my wife and I are just ecstatic to see these eggs! Even if the first clutch is bad, as I've heard they often are, I'm so glad they're actually breeding!

Thanks for any help you could offer.

-John

G

·
CONGRATS! :D I got my first clutch and put them in a shoe box with gravel and water. I misted every day. Then i went to my moms for the week end and came back and they dried up. :cry:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks very much for the replies and congratulations, everyone! I think the eggs may actually be good... they match the description you gave, Kyle. Well, only time will tell. I'll go to the grocery store tonight and buy a small container for them and see what happens!

Thanks again!
-John

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update on the clutch!

Well, four have gone bad, but three (THREE!) are definitely developing and the jury's out on the fourth.

Good news on the azureus front, bad news on the fantasticus. Such is life in frogville, I suppose.

-John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts