Dendroboard banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Just curious what the number of herps you keep has to do with anything? If you can supply the space for them, why sacrifice another poor animal?

Ryan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Ryan said:
Just curious what the number of herps you keep has to do with anything? If you can supply the space for them, why sacrifice another poor animal?

Ryan
Did you even read the thread? He posted that he thought I could only keep 2 tanks in my house. The number of "herps" (since when did birds, fish, and arachnids become included in this catergory?) I keep shows that I obviously have well over 2 tanks in my house. Once again I think you too missed that I now have a different enclosure for the chameleons.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Yes, he has decided to keep them separate. No more arguing people. This thread has been beaten to death now. Time to lock it up and throw away the key mods.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Schism:
"It reminds me of those idiots that buy baby anacondas or salcutta tortoises just so they can see how large and cool they'll be, meanwhile they end up outgrowing their cages and either left in the mobile home the person was renting or donated to a zoo. "
troymcclure
"Uh I have two adult columbian red tail boas, 30 tarantulas, a pair of sandfire bearded dragons, a green wing macaw, two colonies of roaches, black widows, love birds, parrotlets, a 14" sulcatta tortoise a siberian husky a 120 gallon aqurarium and the list goes on."
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Ok, I believe in what seems the best for my chamilions and frogs. I certainly might accidentially kill 1 or 2, but my enclosure is as the habitat of Madagascar's lowland forests. I dont know how the chamilions are, but I will NOT try to buy wc things anymore. I was collecting a ton of caudata when I was 11 and younger, about 10 overall were living throught the past 1/2 year, and I still have one today, its a 2 lined salamander that was in a piece of wood in my pdf tank, yesterday I tried to grab it( in nightime ) but its fast reflexes made it literally jump away from my hands. As for the chamilion tanks, I have allot of small twigs that are the size of pencils all over the tank. Sadly, my fogger broke, so less humidity has occured, and my mosses are not thriving as great as they were in the past. At least I still have some moss growing on the glass. Well, I am still looking at diferent subspecies of there chamilions, and I will look into buying some in the future.
;
Paul :
`----> ! Merry christmas ! / honica / other.

·
Registered
141 Posts
FrogKid said:
Ok, i believe what seems the best. I certainly might accidentially kill 1 or 2, btu my enclosute is as the habitat of Madagascars lowland forests. I dont know how much they are, but i will NOT try to buy wc things anymore. I was collecting a ton of caudata when i was 11 and younger, about 10 overall were living throught the past 1/2 year, and i still have one today, its a 2 lined salamander that was in a piece of wood in my pdf tank, yesterday i tried to grab it( in nightime ) but its fast feflexed made it literally jump away from my hands. As for the chamilion tank, i have allot of small twigs that are the size of pencils all over the tank. Sadly, my fogger broks, so less humidity has occured, and my mosses are not thriving as great as they were in the past. At least i still have some moss growing on the glass. Well, i am still looking at diferent subspecies of there chamilions, and i will look into buying some in the future.
;
Paul :
`----> ! Merry christmas ! / honica / other.
huh?

Try typing in WORD then spell check, the paste it here. I don't understand hardly anything you are trying to say.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
HuH? Not all people can spell or write good, i'm one of those people. I dont try to make enemies since I am going to mix chamilions with my herps. If it were up to me, If it naturally lives near them, you can mix them, one might kill the other( your fault) but the one who killed the other will have something to eat, its wrong, but thats the persons fault. I fell mixing chamilions with frogs isnt bad, unless you put them a small tank, overcroud them, or only feed what the chamilion eats, and not what the frog eats, which will result in neglect, which again is the owners fault. I know most people dont know what I mean, but it seems "ok" to me.
Paul Merry Christmas / honica/ other !

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm not trying to insult you, but I honestly had no idea what point you were trying to get across.

try proofreading your posts, I try to all the time and I always find things that make no sense. You post was really scattered and all over the place, I just didn't 'get' it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
LMAO, I have a HUGE backyard that my sulcatta roams free in, and she is provided with a warm hide at night. She has much much more space than the sulcattas at the San Diego zoo. You don't know WTF you are talking about but still continue to make accusations. Don't you have a tree sit with the NAU Campus Greens to attend?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Yes, can someone please close this thread, i am tired of hearing about these peoples crazy ideas and even neglect to animals, whether it be directly or not. This is just beating a dead horse and causing tension on the board.

And in the future, if anyone wants to mix animals, dont come here and ask or post about it, it is just too contriversial of a topic. Just keep it to yourself, it would save alot of people stress.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Ya right about that. But, wheres the info about stub tail chams. ? didnt anyone pay attention, and not argue, ( no offense ) but this isnt what dendroboards about. Its about learning about pdf's and how to take care of em. :)

Paul

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
(there will be some relevent dart frog info in this post).

Derek you still have not been able to supply a reason why mixing is a problem other than the nebulous claim of detrimental to the animal. In addition you have not been able to defend your stand on the decrease in spatial requirements. Instead you have resorted to an argument response that is remarkably similar to an Is to, Is not argument.

Within a complex setup, not all of the space is used or even required by one species as an inhabitant, this is what allows an educated decision as to what can share the enclosure with another animal.

When it comes to many animals including many pdfs, there is often a recommendation of minimal space based on gallons. I am not sure why, or even based on what reasoning, but the number thrown around is 5 gallons. Now this is a volume measurment, not a space measurement. 5 gallons can be any dimension as long as the sum of the cubic inches is about 1155 cubic inches. To use an extreme as an example, the cage could be two inches deep by two inches high and many feet long (lets see I think that works out to be 24 feet). Now this is a 5 gallon cage but is it suitable for an anuran? (Even though it contains 5 gallons of volume.) These recommendations (and that is all they are is recommendations) need to be looked at with a skeptical eye as they are often without supporting information other than this is what worked for me.
As a rebuttel on the topic of RETFs, I have kept, bred and had RETF's finally die after 9 years at the density of 20 to a 55 gallon. I have had groups of 4-5 tincts in 20 longs live for more than 10 years and produce multiple clutches (the animals were already 4-6 years old when set-up).

Now "everyone" says, that it has to be 5 gallons. I have also seen this posted in many places and on many sites but have yet to see a legitimate reason for it other than "someone" says so. (Has anyone else ever noticed that there is never any supporting information for this reasoning).
I have to say, that the 5 gallon rule for RETFs and even many PDFs goes against almost 18 years of experience with these species.

A comment on the phrase "everyone says" something, everyone used to say that if a man traveled faster than a horse could run they would die (just before the advent of the steam locomotive).

Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
LOL, that is a god post, Ed. Now, i personally think that 10 gallons is the best amount for each pdf. But, im only going to keep 4 cobalt tincs in a go gallon with 3 chams. 1 male cham, 2 females.

·
Registered
141 Posts
troymcclure said:
You don't know WTF you are talking about but still continue to make accusations. Don't you have a tree sit with the NAU Campus Greens to attend?
lol, who made accusations? Please tell me what I am thinking now....

Its just funny that I made a point that only idiots own salcutta tortoises, then you chime in later saying you have one. Now that is FUNNY. How that is an accusation, I don't know. The closest to an accusation that occured was pointing out the obvious (stated above).

As for NAU, I finished my degrees (yes plural) years (yes plural) ago.
You can try to take shots at people, you have no idea who your talking to or what your talking about. If your upset because your have been badgered by this thread you've made yourself look careless about your animals.

Its funny how your posts have turned from defensive to emotional.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Alright guys, let's calm down. I enjoy debates, even if they get heated to some extent, but some of this is silly. I'm going to lock down this thread, but feel free to start relevant ones on the topics that this has split into. I like Ed and Derek's discussion, as long as there is intellectual debate-- which it is on the brink of. So start new threads, but keep things calm. No one wants to see fighting during the holiday season, nor do any of us moderators really want to have to patrol things much.
J

61 - 79 of 79 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.