Dendroboard banner

D. Auratas and Breeding Q's

656 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  jeffr 
#1 ·
I have come across some conflicting information (probably mostly because it is somewhat species dependent) and was hoping you guys and gals could help me get a few things straight...

To begin with, let me just say, I have no intent or desire to breed these frogs...

I have 2 D Auratas. They are at least 9 months old now and I have not heard any calling. Can I assume they are both females? Or is the jury still out on these guys? By what age would you expect them to start calling if one was a male? Other than age, what other factors are at play here? They both seem to be eating well, fat , and healthy (though one is considerably rounder than the other).

If by chance they turned out to be male and female and did breed, what should be done with the offspring? I don't have the time or the space to set up more vivs so I don't think it would be feasible to hold onto them. I also don't think I would want to give away offspring being as the parents are siblings. Am I correct here or is this common practice?

#2 ·
But I mean, you're in west Virginia....... just kidding :D yeah, it is pretty common practice, their genetics are fairly strong. It is good to breed unrelated frogs when possible, but most don't seem to worry all that much about it.

Calling age can vary by a pretty wide margin, and I think 9-10 months is about the earliest they would call.... I could be wrong there since I've only worked with one auratus morph (Panama G/B). Good luck

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.