Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I have a question which I cannot find on here after you cut the cypress knees and limbs. I mean do You leave the bark on, how do you get it off, how long do I let them sit to get rid of moisture, and finally the soaking in bleach and baking process. Thanks for the help brian

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
most people use driftwood, not wood from living trees.Harvesting cypress knees from live trees could kill the tree

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Taking only a few knees from a cypress tree does no harm. Most people using them for terrariums keep the bark on so they look more natural. Removing the bark is typically done when using the knees for arts and crafts. I would recommend soaking them in vinegar and then in filtered water rather then baking them or using chemicals such as bleach. Removing the moisture is not really necessary since it is going to go into a high moisture environment.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That what I have read also if I take a few from a tree it will not cause harm. And thanks for correcting me on the chemicals and baking. But yes the trees are on my property because of the pow swampy land I live near

1 - 5 of 5 Posts