Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering, if I get broms that already have root systems before being added to my viv, is it better to leave the existing roots or remove them and let new ones grow? Thanks

Ben

·
Registered
436 Posts
i always cut mine, but they are usually all ugly and dried out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya. I just noticed that my broms which didnt have roots are starting to root and are looking great and the ones that had roots aren't looking as nice. I will remove the roots and hopefully the broms will start to look better. Any recommendations as to how I remove the roots?

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
When I get "root matted" broms I usually cut 3/4 or more of the roots off with a pair of sharp scissors or a razor blade. New ones will start soon enough and will help give you a better attachment to your cork bark or other mount.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK great. Thanks for the advice guys. I'll get those old dirty roots cleaned up so there's room for new ones :)

Ben

·
Registered
436 Posts
hey, my name's Ben, too! i always find it interesting when people are named Ben because it's a rare name.

anyway, Grimm also recommended to me in another thread that if you want to jump-start root growth, try peeling off the dead leaves and brown crap off of the stolon. Don't go crazy with it, just expose the white part and you should be okay.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts