Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Administrator
Joined
·
13,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2 vents as soon as I can get the broms. They are in a critter keeper right now. I have plans to build 3 mroe tanks just like it, just a matter of ordering the glass. This was a test to see if it would come out the way I wanted. So far I am very pleased.

hicksonj said:
Sweet! That's a great idea. I hope its stainless :) What's going in there?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,052 Posts
great tank

I really like the tank, looks very professional. You should go the whole 9 and get them fitted with drains and misters. :) What are the dimensions? The placemtn of the screening should keep the front clear for viewing, a very good idea. I don't think you'll be able to stop at 3 more tanks, come on... who really can :D .
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
13,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: great tank

Thanks, I see no need for drians for misters, I hand mist my tanks, and don't see that changing. Have to get in the tanks anyways to feed them, whats a couple squirts with the sprayer at the same time?

The screen was palced just for that very reason. I am hoping it is enough, without running fans.

I already have 5 tanks, this will be 6, and I can see a lot more in the near future. I could get 12 on my stand like this one all a matter of time.

It is 14 deep, 11 wide, and 18 high. Mainly for thumbs, 2 vents will be going in this one, then I have 4 more imitators lined up for the next one. Then i'm on a waiting list for retics, and some pumilios. If IAD is as good as I hear who knows what I will bring home....

jbeetle said:
I really like the tank, looks very professional. You should go the whole 9 and get them fitted with drains and misters. :) What are the dimensions? The placemtn of the screening should keep the front clear for viewing, a very good idea. I don't think you'll be able to stop at 3 more tanks, come on... who really can :D .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,052 Posts
I also hand mist, but I may be expanding bigtime in the future... so I am trying to think of ways I can make tanks that would be ok for now, but would also be good if I did change over to a more hightech automated system.

The dimensions sound close to those of a 15 high, which is what I use for my thumbs. Vents are cool. Do you know if you have a pair? Also, did your imitators every turn out to be a pair or is the one still not letting you know it's sex lol? Pumilio and retics are awesome frogs! Where are you getting your broms from? What kind of background are you gonna use? Make sure to post more pics when you get it planted up.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
13,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just do not trust the timmers on a misting system. One bad timmer and all your frogs are dead. Not as big of a deal with the lights.

The vents are very young, no way of telling if they are a pair, but I hope to get a couple more soon.

I have no idea what my imitators are up to, I still only think one is calling. I have not had any eggs or any thing, so who knows. I might try to get a couple more of that type (blue legs). I'm on a list for 4 more but with green legs.

I am getting my broms from Custom Ecos, I have good luck with them and he has nice prices. I am using styrofoam, and weldbond/eco earth for the background. It is drying right now, and should be ready to go when the broms get here. I have leca, and small gravel ready to go, so should be setup rather quick. Then its a matter of testing the humidity for a couple days. I will post some pics when its ready to go.

jbeetle said:
I also hand mist, but I may be expanding bigtime in the future... so I am trying to think of ways I can make tanks that would be ok for now, but would also be good if I did change over to a more hightech automated system.

The dimensions sound close to those of a 15 high, which is what I use for my thumbs. Vents are cool. Do you know if you have a pair? Also, did your imitators every turn out to be a pair or is the one still not letting you know it's sex lol? Pumilio and retics are awesome frogs! Where are you getting your broms from? What kind of background are you gonna use? Make sure to post more pics when you get it planted up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,052 Posts
Good point about the misting system, and that would be a horrible error. But there are specific programs that you would use to run the system via a computer, so it should be all right. All the really big breeders have mysting systems, so I would think you could do it... but it is only needed if you go bigtime :) .

Imitators are great at hiding eggs, so don't be too surprised if you see a baby hoping around one day. Which line are the "blue legged" ones?

Can't go wrong with Alex of Custom Ecos. His prices are great, plants great, and he is a really nice guy. Where did you get the weldbond from? I couldn't find it around me. Can't wait to see the finished terrarium.
 
G

·
Mesh

Nice Kyle,
So where did you end up getting the stainless steel mesh, and how much did it cost? I have been tossing around the idea to add a vented section in the tops of my tanks to allow UV light in.
I hear your concerns about the misting sytem timer, I normally use a 3/4" pipe to drain my tanks and I don't think the nozzle could even begin to allow more flow than the drain, unless it got really cloged. Sometimes when I try to get some frogs breeding I want to mist 3-5 times a day it is only possible for me with a misting unit.

Looks good! Glad to see someone else making custom tanks.
Benjamin Green
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
13,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Mesh

I got it here: 60x60 wire mesh, stainless steal.
http://www.mcmaster.com/

At least the 1st 4 will not have a misting system. Thats not to say I will never use one. If I ever do any amount of breeding I will be getting one. Drilling glass is just a pain.

Thanks for the comments, I think I willbe making a lot more of my tanks in the future. I really like how it came out and the cost was not too bad, with 1/4 inch glass too.

Bgreen said:
Nice Kyle,
So where did you end up getting the stainless steel mesh, and how much did it cost? I have been tossing around the idea to add a vented section in the tops of my tanks to allow UV light in.
I hear your concerns about the misting sytem timer, I normally use a 3/4" pipe to drain my tanks and I don't think the nozzle could even begin to allow more flow than the drain, unless it got really cloged. Sometimes when I try to get some frogs breeding I want to mist 3-5 times a day it is only possible for me with a misting unit.

Looks good! Glad to see someone else making custom tanks.
Benjamin Green
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
13,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
background in

Ok I got the background in, and dry. Just a matter of the substrate, and the plants.
I have a couple small spots to cover, but nothing big. Just a thing I noticed on my second use of weldbond is that it dries much better if put on wet. I had much better luck this time, and it dried much faster, but I still plan to let it sit for a couple more days.

It is also hard to tell but it is not flat, but has a small bump that should allow me to put broms off to each side.





 

·
Registered
Joined
·
986 Posts
I have a solution for malfunctioning timers on a misting system--my misting system is set up to use a 1 gallon reservoir, and my false bottom is set high enough to hold that much. Besides, your frogs have plenty of height there to get out of the water in a 15 high.

I have my mister run 2x per day at 1 minute each (with 2 misting nozzles). I like the results so far.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
13,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ya there are ways, but for the inital 4 its not needed. I may rethink it, but I have had good luck with hand misting. It all depends if I go for 12 or not, we will see.

Homer said:
I have a solution for malfunctioning timers on a misting system--my misting system is set up to use a 1 gallon reservoir, and my false bottom is set high enough to hold that much. Besides, your frogs have plenty of height there to get out of the water in a 15 high.

I have my mister run 2x per day at 1 minute each (with 2 misting nozzles). I like the results so far.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
hey kyle...

I got some questions. I saw your pic gallery, which is very nice, and i was wondering if you simply place your moss directly on to the rocks (like in your imitator tank) and if the moss does well like this. and it looks as though you plant your broms in the rocks, which i know you dont, right? my question is what you actually place around the roots of your broms, since there is a lack of soil.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
13,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: hey kyle...

Yup moss on rocks, and broms in rocks. Both have worked great for me. To be honest I have better luck with moss on rocks than on soil. I have have very good luck with moss on rocks. It also offers good drainage.

john_159 said:
I got some questions. I saw your pic gallery, which is very nice, and i was wondering if you simply place your moss directly on to the rocks (like in your imitator tank) and if the moss does well like this. and it looks as though you plant your broms in the rocks, which i know you dont, right? my question is what you actually place around the roots of your broms, since there is a lack of soil.
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Top