Dendroboard banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have finished my tank, not sure if i'm 100% happy with it yet, but will sleep on it. The foam did not want to hold the broms, I got them to stay, but nothing like how they stay in cork. I may use at least 1 piece of cork on the next ones just to put broms on.

Comment? Ideas?

G

·
I like the mix of coco and cork. It adds good depth and texture to the background. The whole tank will look very different in a month or two, once its grown in. I would get some moss in there or even add a vine to plant other things on.

Its coming along great though, been following it in all its stages. Thanks for the lessons learned and inspiration.

Stitch

G

·
looks great :)

what bromeliad is that on the bottom?

What frogs will you be adding to ths tank?

I agree, a little bit of moss would look good. :)

·
Premium Member
13,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wanted to get one latger brom, but so hard to judge the size over the internet. Not sure on the moss, I may add some dirt, or just leave it with the gravel.

stitch said:
I like the mix of coco and cork. It adds good depth and texture to the background. The whole tank will look very different in a month or two, once its grown in. I would get some moss in there or even add a vine to plant other things on.

Its coming along great though, been following it in all its stages. Thanks for the lessons learned and inspiration.

Stitch

·
Premium Member
13,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Broms were mounted by drilling hole and pushing them in the holes. This did not hold as well as cork, but is holding.

They are 2 fireballs, grande fireball, and a tropiflora.

TimsViv said:
Kyle,

Can you list all of the bromeliads that you have in your tank?
Also, can you show an upclose pictue of how the broms are mounted?

Thanks,
Tim

G

·
toothpicks

Kyle,

I've found that by pushing toothpicks into the foam at various angles serves to hold the broms up long enough for them to take root. I used this method to hold up the moss in my 20 gallon vertical tank and it worked nicely. You could also try using aluminum staples with long ends and push them into the foam with the broomeliad stolons inbetween. Just some random thoughts I'd share with ya.

-Bill J.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
toothpicks & floral pins

Those are both great ideas Bill. I sometimes use floral pins, which are basically very long staples. They are sold at arts and crafts stores in the flower arranging area (near styrofoam & floral islands). I know that vivaria.nl tells you to use saté sticks (although they are refering to attaching things to their coco panels), but it seems that toothpicks would be just as good if not better since they are all ready small. For some reason this didn't come to my mind when I read this post, but I do it myself... must be tired.

·
Premium Member
13,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: toothpicks

Good ideas! I did look around the house for toothpicks, but we were out. I go them to stay, but messd up a small section of the wall to do it. I covered it and its fine, but not as firm of a hold as I ahd hoped for. I really like the look of cork, but hate the cost. I am hoping the prices go back down in the spring, and then I plan to order a large shipment of cork.

BillJohnson said:
Kyle,

I've found that by pushing toothpicks into the foam at various angles serves to hold the broms up long enough for them to take root. I used this method to hold up the moss in my 20 gallon vertical tank and it worked nicely. You could also try using aluminum staples with long ends and push them into the foam with the broomeliad stolons inbetween. Just some random thoughts I'd share with ya.

-Bill J.

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
kyle - you need cork???

Kyle,

We purchase our cork by the bale. We just got a bale a few weeks ago. We usually sell it for $5 or $6 a pound, I can't remember which because Sarah priced this last batch and I was clueless.

We also have some cork tiles as well. I purchased them a few months ago, and have't used them yet.

Let me know if you want some and you are more than welcome to pick some up to avoid the shipping charges.

We try to keep it on hand.

Melis

·
Premium Member
13,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: kyle - you need cork???

THanks I may just do that, I have to get some more tanks built first. I have 2 empty right now, and I need to order the glass for 3 more. Just a matter of doing it.

melissa68 said:
Kyle,

We purchase our cork by the bale. We just got a bale a few weeks ago. We usually sell it for $5 or $6 a pound, I can't remember which because Sarah priced this last batch and I was clueless.

We also have some cork tiles as well. I purchased them a few months ago, and have't used them yet.

Let me know if you want some and you are more than welcome to pick some up to avoid the shipping charges.

We try to keep it on hand.

Melis

1 - 15 of 15 Posts