Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found some 28" x 30" sheets of Optix plexiglass at Lowe's for $15 per sheet recently and want to make a unique tank out of them. I am hoping for some good advice before I start the build since I haven't seen this type really done before. I originally got the idea from this thread - http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/parts-construction/67336-18-gallon-cylinder-build.html

My goal is to have four separate frog tanks together in one show quality tank. I would have four of the plexi glass sheets bent vertically into half cylinders and bolted side by side to each other and to the back with angle iron, then expanding foam would be used as the background to hide the bolts in each tank. There will be a thicker plexi top, back and bottom to bolster the tank. Access would be from the top with a hinged door on each one.

The idea is similar to placing four 10 gallon verticals side by side, except it will be one big tank and look like four mini peninsulas connected together to have more of a show quality look and feel. I am hoping to finish it out in wood trim or something classy.

Any constructive ideas on this project are appreciated :)

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Doesn't Lowe's only carry 1/8" thick acrylic? Personally, I think that is way too thin for any size viv construction.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is the best size then? I was hoping to bend it myself but if there is a good argument that it needs to be thicker I might look into having a plexi shop bend some thicker sheets for me.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I don't care for acrylic in frog tanks. It warps too readily. If your heart is set on acrylic, make sure you build it properly. Without proper reinforcement for the edges, it's only a matter of time before it warps.
You haven't said what size you are building, but in any case, I wouldn't use anything under 1/4"
Bending and bolting 1/8" acrylic will eventually crack around the bolt holes. You don't generally just bend acrylic. It has to be heated and formed, not just bent. Yes, you can just bend 1/8" acrylic, but without heating and doing it properly, it will probably eventually craze, leaving hundreds or thousands of tiny cracks all over the acrylic.

Reactions: wjesse
1 - 5 of 5 Posts