Dendroboard banner

What are you willing to spend on shipping versus price of frogs?

• $50 and lower

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • $50-70

Votes: 11 14.3%
  • $70-90

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • $90+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Screw it local buys.

Votes: 23 29.9%
  • It doesn't matter I'll pay to ship the frogs I want.

Votes: 25 32.5%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
I know if I want something bad enough, I'll pay to get it......

With my Fed-Ex account, shipping rates are still more than reasonable compared to what they can be.......However, more customers are gravitating towards larger group purchases or group buys, instead of one or two things here or there.....

I just shipped a 12lb, 17x17x10 box from Florida to California priority overnight, and it was around $92 to do so......

If you think Domestic rates are bad, try International Freight.......

·
Registered
542 Posts
I voted 50 and lower but I would say screw it and buy local if there were more local froggers which there isnt so that sucks! Shipping kills me I about bought some frogs online then got to check out and seen shipping costs and changed my mind.

·
Registered
527 Posts
the only answer to this problem is to buy more frogs. $/frog goes down, i get more frogs, and the breeder gets more sales. win-win-win.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I said screw it.....Not enough local froggers to get what I want. Shipping prices have been an issue for the last few years. Notice how the prices never came down when gas came down. Now the prices for shipping are going up again cause of inflated gas prices, when shipping prices were all ready inflated from the gas increase in 2007/08.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I voted for local buy--but it has nothing to do with fuel or shipping costs. The way our weather here in FL can swing, and the unreliability of EVERY shipping company I've dealt with--I wouldn't trust the lives of our amphibian friends with anyone else....

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
It has definitely resulted in more flakes. I can't count the number of people who have asked for a shipping quote then disappeared over the last few weeks.
Ya no kidding. Really gets old. At least tell me you aren't interested, geez.

The thing that is really irritating is that they charge you for EVERYTHING. The box initially costs $65 to ship, then I'm paying you extra for "Shipping and handling" and "gas"...WTF was the $65 for? And an extra $5 for a signature? And then the person picking up has to pay ANOTHER $5?

Completely ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I've never shipped a frog but it sounds like they need to regulate this like they're doing with airline ticket prices. Advertising 1 price when you add 5 other mandatory costs after that is simply ridiculous.

·
Registered
891 Posts
As much as I hate paying for shipping, I can't agree that it is excess. I mean lets get real about wanting something overnight from half way across the country. Regular unleaded is well over 3 bucks, so I can't drive to get it for less. It would take more than 12 hours one way, so I can't make it in 24 hours. I would have to take an entire day off and still pay the cost to drive (double whammy).

When you think about the millions of dollars in equipment and personnel it takes to overnight anything, the rate isn't THAT bad. However, I still shop around for the cheapest shipping.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
You people that think its to much to ship, think about how to much it would be of you had to drive or fly then tell me what that would cost.
Fair enough. I will now be selling variabilis for $1000 each. Think about how much they would cost if you had to fly down and get them yourself!!! ;)

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Many people ship FedEx Priority First Overnight thinking it will arrive a lot earlier. In my area, a box will arrive an hour or maybe two earlier using this service and the cost is double that of FedEx Priority. Under normal conditions, I see no advantage to shipping First Overnight.

It also costs less to hold for pickup or to ship to a commercial address than to ship to a residential address. Many buyers don't realize this. As a buyer or seller, I always recommend the hold for pickup option. It saves money, but more importantly, it saves having the box on a FedEx truck for several hours and the associated handling, bumping, and dropping that goes with it.

There is also a significant cost difference depending on the account you have. The company I work for allows us to use its shipping accounts. We code in our employee number and it is deducted from our pay. It's a win-win because we have higher volume and get better rates as a company and the employees get great discounts. Overnight rates are about half of what I'd pay going into a FedEx store or starting my own account. It typically costs me around $40 to ship a small box that can hold up to 4 or 5 frogs, phase 22 packs, and other packing materials. If I am buying frogs and the seller doesn't have the same rates, I pay shipping directly and send them a label. So, sellers should ask if the buyer has access to a shipping account with lower rates. Some people don't think to ask.

·
Registered
841 Posts
i am all for picking up frogs when im in the area where i can buy them. as an aside is wallace grover suggesting that we can just wait until we have electric, wind, or solar airplanes. if so i dont think i can wait that long, those are probably about the same distance in the future as commercial fusion power. the estimate on that is about 20 years in the future, the same estimate as we were told in 1980.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I ship (or used to!) a lot of sensitive fish; I live rurally, and there's no advantage to Fedex, so it has always been airport to airport. April 1st Delta and others hiked their rates up to where I can't hardly warrant the headache. Water weight is an issue compared to frogs, but what cost me 65.00 in March is now200+ depending on destination..Basically shut me down as for air freight...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.