Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I got mine from Flyculture.com. They don't fly, but can glide in circles, so they are still easy to work with.
I've found them to be very productive, they out produce the wingless strain I have by about twice as much! If you need a lot of melagonaster-sized food,(small enough for imitators) I highly recomend this strain.

·
Registered
621 Posts
also
I always like new fruit flies
i have hydei, melono, and buzzati. I dont have the winged or glider melonogasters
I want the yellow hydei, and i always wondered if the dwarf hydei at the end of culture life, would breed through in a new culture. I keep hydei and feed the dwarf to my thumbs and real young azureus.
Jace

G

·
I've have both wingless and winged flightless in addittion to a couple others. The winged/flightless seem to have mutated into "gliders" they didn't use to be able to hop as much but now they almost fly.... though always in a downwards wayt

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
glider strain

I personally don't favor gliders... although some of my frogs do.

They are kinda a pain to transfer from container to container, they will hop and glide right away from your container and tend to get loose more than the flightless. On the other hand, this movement makes them very popular with my tricolors especially. When I kill my wingless cultures or what not (which I keep since many of my other frogs like the more ant like smaller looking wingless form) I will occassionally buy a glider culture. As my frog colony grows, I've been keeping a greater variety of foods, which also means a greater variety of flies. I'm keeping a culture of gliders going to keep the more active hunters entertained.

You can keep both strains at the same time (I do) just beware of cross contamination. I've had to kill off more than one culture of flies because a loose glider got in my wingless as I prepared new cultures, and ended up with a crapload of fliers (put in freezer until they died, then the container was cleaned). For a small amount of frogs its not preally worth having both.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts