Dendroboard banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen it mentioned in some threads that "I picked up this plant from the local greenhouse". I am curious to know what or how much concern is given to pesticides in this situation. I have been told my a not so reliable source that rinsing the plant from all soil will relieve you of most of the danger. This does make some sense, but doesn't seem safe enough for how fragile a frog is to a pesticide that can get in a water supply.
Is this truly sufficient, or is everyone taking a risk?
I have planned on ordering a majority of plants online, pesticide free, but it would save some money and would be better to choose plants in person if there really is no risk...
A related question, can or do plants store pesticides in their structure?

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Even if you can wash off 100% of the dirt off of the roots, I would still give a minimum of 6 weeks before letting the frogs near it.
Systematic pesticides travel throughout the plants structure (that's why they call them systematic) so that any type of pathogen that eats any part of the plant will also get some pesticide. The pesticides you usually see that are FOR ORNAMENTAL PLANTS ONLY usually are of this nature.
I can't tell you for sure how long these substances will remain in the plant.
I would imagine it all depends on how fast the plant grows, it's transpiration rate, etc. would all play a part. For instance it would probably take longer for a plant to "cleanse" itself if it were in poor growing conditions, (dim light, improper water etc.) than a plant grown in ideal conditions.
Usually if I see a plant I have to have at a home center, supermarket, etc. I will wash the whole plant, including removing as much dirt from the roots as I can, then I plant it in fertilizer and pesticide free mix, usually the same stuff I use in the viv. Then I let the plant grow on my windowsill for a couple of months before putting it in a vivarium.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is what I assumed. It really seems like most people on this board just rinse and add. Maybe I'm wrong thats just how it seems. I definitely plan on ordering everything online pesticide free, but I'm sure I'll run into that irresistable plant and a local store. I'm be sure to be careful before I add it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts