Dendroboard banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

So I siliconed the back and one side of my 36 gallon 5 days ago and it still smells like silicone. The room doesn't smell, but when I stick my head in the tank, it smells of silicone.

I assume this is normal and it's ok to procede to step two?

Thanks again

-DET

·
Registered
707 Posts
DET,

It is possible that the silicone in the back, I assume behind cork bark or something similar, could still be slowly curing or that the acetic acid from the curing process is slowly releasing through your background.

Here is a similar thread:
http://www.dendroboard.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5909

If you are using the standard backgrounds (coco panel, cork board, tree fern panel, etc) then you effectively have a giant sponge on the back of your vivarium that can retain some of the smell for a while.

In general, put the aquarium in a warm area to expedite curing, put a fan on it to recirculate the air and get the acetic acid (which is probably what you are smelling) out of the enclosure. Fortunately, the gases are non-toxic (unless you used a ton of silicone and don't have a reasonable amount of air exchnage) and it is likely that whatever acetic acid is off-gassing is not very strong.

If you have the time, it probably wouldn't hurt to air it out with a fan or something and try to dry the enclosure out as much as possible. But, unless you used an abnormal amount of silicone and are going to put in the frogs tomorrow you probably won't have an issue.

Marcos

1 - 2 of 2 Posts