Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have a old house and my parents turn the heat on atleast twice a year (somtimes) and my basement in the winter gets like 30 degrees and my frog room is in the low 50's My cultures wont produce I bring them upstiars in a warmer room and they give me about 4 flies Im sick of this and my parents say its my fault well I cant control the thermastat so untill that happens or I find a solution my 12 frogs will be starving any help

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Get a cardboard box. Wrap a blanket around it. Put a light over the top for heat. Keep your cultures in there to bring up the temp.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Before I had a 'feeder' room, I would place the FF cultures right directly on top of my fluorescent light fixtures. I would make sure the spot was not too hot first of course. The light fixture method really helped me out.

I live in BC, Canada so temperature in the winter is REALLY an issue I have to combat for all my herps and feeders.

Some other options are the box + light method mentioned above. Or I also used to use a heat pad set on low with glass mason jars set directly on top of the pad. That worked so-so....then I set the pad to medium (about 95F) and used a small Japanese table (about 3 inches high) right above the pad....this brought the cultures to a perfect temperature when in the plastic deli cups. I also covered 50% of the top with siran wrap to prevent drying out in the dry-cold we have here.

One winter when it was REALLY cold, I put a space heater into the storage room, kept the door closed and sealed it with some bunched-up fabric...that really did the trick for me and held me over until Spring.

Also use a good quality FF culture media like Repashy's SuperFly (that stuff is the BEST!) or find an excellent recipe if you have to do them in bulk...I only make 4 cultures a week so Repashy is not too much of a cost for me....a 32oz bag lasts me many months.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Will they allow you to put a space heater in your frog room? This would be best for the frogs and feeders. Maybe offer to do extra chores around the house to help with the extra electric bill. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys sorry it took so long to reply I was in ohio for a soccer tournament. Anyways I give eacha idea a shot and chris the frog tank temps are around 70 degrees I recently raised them closer to the light to increase the temps and they are now at 75 76

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
How cold does the temp in your frogs viv dip down to at night?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts