Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay so my hydie culture smell is REALLY strong. I just moved in with my brother and him and his wife pretty much want me to get rid of my frogs now because of how strong the smell is. Before i had melanogaster cultures going with a different media and they pretty much didnt smell at all and i had 4 cultures going at one time and i even kept the cultures out in the open.
The media im using right now josh's fruit fly media. Do the hydei just have a stronger smell than the melanogaster or is it the new media im using? I was reading through some other post and found that honey can take some of the smell away maybe. I really need help ASAP on this as it is causing trouble in the house. I really really dont want to get rid of my frogs and am desperately trying to find a way to fix this.

Oh and i also live in AZ and was trying to think of ways that i could possibly keep them in the garage some how without them getting to hot. that would be the ultimate solution really if there is a way.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
I use cinnamon instead of vinegar. The cultures smell much better, IMO. Sometimes I use a little of both. Cinnamon is a fungus and mold inhibitor, like the vinegar.

Make one with cinnamon instead and have your brother and his wife take a sniff. I liken it to ff cookies :D

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would recommend sending Josh an email at [email protected], and he can give you some pointers.
As far as reducing odors, I keep an ozone generator near my fruit fly cultures - it handles odors great!
could you possibly steer me in the right direction of what ozone generator would work best.. What i have been looking at, seems like some call theirs an ozone generator but it looks just like an air fresher.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use cinnamon instead of vinegar. The cultures smell much better, IMO. Sometimes I use a little of both. Cinnamon is a fungus and mold inhibitor, like the vinegar.

Make one with cinnamon instead and have your brother and his wife take a sniff. I liken it to ff cookies :D
aahh!! I think cinnamon is what i had in my last media mix and those cultures didnt smell at all. :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
I think I got mine from walmart or home depot. Cleared out the funk in my room. I think I'll have to add a second one when I expand. I've got like 10 cultured at anytime without any funk.

·
Registered
383 Posts
culture bean beetles instead of hydei.

Ed
I agree for larger feeders, also melanogaster have considerably less smell in my experience. Lastly add a little cinnamon to you cultures and get yourself a large tote you can put them in so the smell is concealed. Take it outside daily and open the tote to release and exchange the air.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree for larger feeders, also melanogaster have considerably less smell in my experience. Lastly add a little cinnamon to you cultures and get yourself a large tote you can put them in so the smell is concealed. Take it outside daily and open the tote to release and exchange the air.
cant the bean beetles escape really easy tho if you dont have it air tight. Well i guess the hydei probably can escape just as easy. The bean beetles are hard to feed out tho. i cant find an easy way to get them into a dusting container.

·
Registered
19,322 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
save yourself a bundle of money, put a decent size aquarium pump in a large tote with the ff containers and vent the output of the air pump outside, works well, the larger the container the larger the pump

·
Registered
383 Posts
cant the bean beetles escape really easy tho if you dont have it air tight. Well i guess the hydei probably can escape just as easy. The bean beetles are hard to feed out tho. i cant find an easy way to get them into a dusting container.
The cultures remain in their own culture cups with vented lids, you place those in a tote to contain the smell :) check out Ed's link for feeding out the bean beetles I gave you.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The brand is therapure. I think I got it for less than $75 retail.
thanks yomamafat!

Ed- Thanks for the BB thread! that sounds easy enough. i just need to go buy a bigger funnel and some of that screen and get to work. then i would only have to make one FF culture and that will be more than enough to feed out.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts