Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that Cuban tree frogs will eat just about anything that can fit into their mouths, but what about a fully aquatic frog like the African dwarf?
If a Cuban Tree frog was kept in an environment that includes these little dwarf frogs would they eventually become lunch? I'm sure the dwarfs can swim faster because they spend their whole lives doing it.

To be more specific, the enclosure would be a 30 gallon hexagon tank, with the bottom quarter completely flooded. I'm going to almost completely cover the water's surface with duckweed, water lettuce, and frogbit.

I really want a multi-species tank, and was hoping there could be something that my Cubans could co-exist with.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I've seen cubans try to eat one another - one the same size as the other. Dwarf frogs would be lunch. No doubt about it. Being in the water isn't going to make much of a difference. I don't know why you want to include cubans in a multi-species cage. You realize Cubans eat everything in Florida? Frogs, lizards, anything that fits into their mouth.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
You really want to house Cubans in a multi-species exhibit? Okay, try green basilisks, Corythophanes, galliwasps, large Anolis sp. or large toads (e.g., "Bufo" guttatus) in nothing smaller than a 90. Even then, any offspring will be vulnerable.

In the 30, I would house no more than two Cubans. Point being: Cubans are not, never were, never will be community frogs. It would be almost akin to asking the same question about Pyxicephalus or Ceratophrys. (Okay, I have seen Pyxies housed with big pythons...).

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I had a Cuban in a paladarium...good sized one, land area, water area w/waterfall...and had to rescue a fire bellied -- toxic--that was being consumed by the Cuban...half in, half out...interesting experience...both were okay, but I learned a lesson...don't think the Cuban did however...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts