Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is in the wrong section.....I was on my front porch tonight and it is storming where I am (lakeland, fl) and i noticed i HUGE tree frog on my wall. It is about 4" long so I looked it up. Turns out it is a Cuban Tree frog which according to University of Florida is a invasive species and is actually causing a huge problem with local green tree from populations in florida because they are very agressive and actually eat smaller frogs. They actually recommend euthanizing them immediately. So what would you do after learning this information and seeing one on your front porch?

Link to the info about them and euthanizing. They even tell you how to do it.

Florida Wildlife Extension at UF/IFAS

Picture of the guy outside

·
Registered
527 Posts
I don't know if I would be able to euthanize it. Most likely I would keep it as a pet, until it died. No breeding of course.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Well I live in maryland and I got one on a ornamental plant,looked up prosedure to uthenise it but ended up keeping it.turned out to be a male calls constantly.neet call.but if u find one u should never release it.

·
Registered
585 Posts
SorrY about spelling hitting the wrong buttons on my new touch screen gotta get use to it.lol

·
Registered
342 Posts
I find them all the time in cable boxes here in clearwater but i dont have the heart to euthanize them. Iv found 5 or 6 in one box before there everywhere out here.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Dont think of it as killing a frog, think of it as saving the native amphibians and ecosystem. I kill Bullfrogs all the time. It sucks but its either that or they ruin our native ecosystems.

Help out Floridas natives and euthenize it. You guys have enough to worry about with invasives as it is.

Reactions: Ed

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
If I found a Cuban all the way out here in KS like I did the brown anole, I think it would be fine to keep it. If I found it in the Gulf states, I would pull out the benzocaine immediately.

I used to keep African clawed frogs, and as much as I love them, they don't belong in San Francisco or Arizona where they harm red legged frogs. I am all for eradicating them where they do not belong.

I love dogs and cats, but I know it's inevitable that one cannot find homes for all the strays and some may be put down.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
geeze! just kill the [email protected] thing. give it a good quick smash. or shoot it with a pellet gun.

growing up in FL, we used to routinely hunt brown anoles. they are so prolific that we could kill 100+ in less than an hour (in a single yard). its also a decent way to improve ones aim as they are pretty small little guys.

i agree with brotherly monkey, its not like your just killing an animal for fun, your doing it to help prevent the spread of an invasive species, which is destroying your native wildlife.

james

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
Because we love our frogs and all frogs. Feral cats are a huge problem and we don't have Frankenstein hunts for them.
If you trap a truly feral cat and take it to an animal shelter what do you think they do with it? Truly feral cats do not bond to people and are 5 pointy end death machines (I worked for an SPCA for a couple of years when I was younger) and are unadoptable......

Yes there are spay/neuter and release programs but unless that cat colony is part of a program, it will be euthanized...

Equating it as a Frankinstein hunt is simply attempting to make it a knee jerk reaction. by appealing to emotion. Other countries have taken to more methods see for example Feral cats on bush tucker menu - The Corroboree

Ed

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
I hear frog legs taste like chicken. The most eco-friendly thing would be to let nothing go to waste, right? ;)
If you mean that the white meat from chicken doesn't have a lot of flavor then yes, frog legs taste like chicken but chicken can taste like alligator....

Ed

·
Registered
564 Posts
Yes there are spay/neuter and release programs but unless that cat colony is part of a program, it will be euthanized...

Ed
That's a bummer...cats cause major problems with native songbird populations here, so even though they're sterile they are still causing ecosystem problems.

·
Registered
169 Posts
If you mean that the white meat from chicken doesn't have a lot of flavor then yes, frog legs taste like chicken but chicken can taste like alligator....

Ed
Ed, your cooking your chicken wrong man ;P

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
That's a bummer...cats cause major problems with native songbird populations here, so even though they're sterile they are still causing ecosystem problems.
If you look at cat colony behaviors, then it does make sense in the long-term view. The vast majority of recruitment into a feral cat colony is through offspring of residents staying with the colony and new colonies are formed by young females that leave. While the residents are alive, they will discourage unrelated cats from joining the colony which is why it makes sense. If you change a reproductive colony to a non-reproducing colony, then you prevent new cats from establishing in the area, and prevent new colony formation. Cat colony behaviors have been well studied. It is always better if you can remove the whole colony and prevent a new one from recruiting into the area but this is difficult as unlike feral dog packs, cat colonies are sustaninable on thier own.

Ed

Reactions: thedude

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
Ed, your cooking your chicken wrong man ;P

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Try this simple test... ;)
take a piece of a the white meat from any of the major chicken brands, place into water with no spices or other flavorings, just white meat chicken, no fat or skin and boil it until done. Repeat with a frog leg, and a piece of alligator tail. Rate each one for flavor.... and see the results ;)

We just had chicken burritos with home made black refried beans, yellow rice, and home made yellow mole/mojo sauce.

·
Registered
564 Posts
If you look at cat colony behaviors, then it does make sense in the long-term view. The vast majority of recruitment into a feral cat colony is through offspring of residents staying with the colony and new colonies are formed by young females that leave. While the residents are alive, they will discourage unrelated cats from joining the colony which is why it makes sense. If you change a reproductive colony to a non-reproducing colony, then you prevent new cats from establishing in the area, and prevent new colony formation. Cat colony behaviors have been well studied. It is always better if you can remove the whole colony and prevent a new one from recruiting into the area but this is difficult as unlike feral dog packs, cat colonies are sustaninable on thier own.

Ed
Good point.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts