Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Dane said:
One of my Cryptanthus has produced 2 pups which I removed and replanted, but they dont seem to be coloring up like the mother plant. They are about a month and a half old, and I was wondering when I could expect them to start showing some color.
Dane,

Cryptanthus pups should be removed when they are at least 1/3 the size of the "mother" plant. They already should be similar in color to their parent. Are they recieveing the same lighting as the parent plant? What color is the parent and what color are the pups? They should color up when placed in bright light.

Justin

·
Super Moderator
3,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The mother is pink, and the pups are more of a cream color. I don't know a species name offhand. They were roughly 1/3 of the size of the mother plant when removed. Maybe the lighting just isn't bright enough, but the adult plant has stayed a vibrant pink since I put it in the viv about a month ago.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Dane said:
The mother is pink, and the pups are more of a cream color. I don't know a species name offhand. They were roughly 1/3 of the size of the mother plant when removed. Maybe the lighting just isn't bright enough, but the adult plant has stayed a vibrant pink since I put it in the viv about a month ago.
Dane,

I have had this happen before with cryptanthus "pink starlight". Sometimes they give off almost completely white pups that have a slight tinge of pink to them. It's (the parent) most likely a hybrid. The pups may never be the same color as the parent, which is cool in my mind.

Justin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.