Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past two weeks my male cristobal was calling relentlessly. Yesterday and today it has dramatically slowed down and I keep finding him buried in their broms face down. The female followed him around the past two weeks and I even found her siting in the broms with him on the outer leaves or on branches above. But in the past few days I've seen her devouring springs and ff's like no other.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lol well saturday will be three weeks in their new viv. I just kept a good eye on them is all and explained what I observed the best I could. Now when I open the tank to feed the male basically stands guard on the brom. I really hope it was a good clutch (if any). I can't get a good look into the brom, due to angle and placement.

·
Banned
579 Posts
So he called nonstop when introduced to new girl then stopped ??? Hmmm. Sounds like your cristobal might be a little player and simply " hit it and quit it_

Haha...congrats, sounds like the little soldiers are gathered to be diployed to bromland!!! ; )

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
That sounds just like my two Cristobal pairs. Did you see any eggs or tadpoles on the brom leaves? Mine lay exclusively on neo fireball leaves, but they deposit tads in several types of broms. Sometimes, if you look closely, you can see where the egg gel dried on the leaf.

Be sure to mist daily to turn over the small amount of water in each brom axial. Mine have taken two months almost to the day, in each case, from deposition to emerged froglet.

Good luck.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys.

They are supposed to be a proven pair. It would be really cool to see some froglets at aone time.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
*update*

I've found one tadpole twice in two bromliads, or have two in there. it was kind of grey, with dark little spots on the dorsum. Wish me luck!

Ps. If anyone can give me any tips, I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The tank is heavily seeded with temperate whites, although i would like to ad some isopods here soon.
But anyway, I saw the tadpole out of the water two days ago. But my big dumb face scared it back into the brom axil lol. Heres a picture for you guys! I hope out keeps the shade of red that it has, it was quite nice looking out of the water :)

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Like others mentioned:

Seed the tank with springs and feed the parents flies so they don't eat all the springs as you are putting them in.

Continue to water the tank as you have been, make sure the water you use is room temp.

Lastly, I know it will be difficult, but try to let things take their course without pestering the little guy too much, you don't want to stress him out. He will be out and hopping around whens he's ready and there's not much you can do to speed that process up, nor do you want to. When he comes out he'll be hungry so make sure he has food and can find it easily.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks.
I didn't mean to spook it, but it just happened while I was checking around the tank. And the female is a monster when it comes to feeding. constantly foraging through the litter and lower areas of the 40B vert. The male stays higher up, closer to the broms. They get melanogasters daily and I ad springs weekly.

·
Registered
193 Posts
That's awesome! Nice picture too.. I can barely get a glimpse of my tads

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think it was pure luck. Thank the droid camera.

This is my first tadpole, ever. I have 20+ frogs, these just seemed to be the first pair ready to breed. I've only had the pair of pums since mid september. Theyre 08 imports, so I'm told.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I think it was pure luck. Thank the droid camera.

This is my first tadpole, ever. I have 20+ frogs, these just seemed to be the first pair ready to breed. I've only had the pair of pums since mid september. Theyre 08 imports, so I'm told.
congrats! give us an update when the litttle guy is out and about

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Awesome picture, looks like a healthy little bugger. Congrats!

Or I have a breeding trio that does the same exact thing after laying a clutch of eggs. No need to be condescending, man.
I'm pretty sure he didn't mean that in a bad way, I certainly didn't take it that way..... anyone ever tell you what happens when you assume? :D

1 - 20 of 37 Posts