Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What size crickets would be best for my GTF?
He\she is about 2 or 3 inches long.
Also, how many should I buy at a time?

His\her tank (12x12x18 Exo Terra):

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
If you are buying at the petstore I would get the smalls which are usually 1/8"-1/4". A simple rule of thumb is to get feeders that are the same width as the space between the frogs eyes. I have seen GTF's eat bigger prey than that, but its better to play it safe. I would feed 3-4 every other day (try bowl feeding again...trust me)...so you should be good with about 20-25 a week (a few extras because some will die). It would be a great to gutload with fresh grated veggies mixed (squash and carrots are great choices) with a little of your vitamin dust. An orange slice is a good idea as well.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Should I just buy like 100 at a time or should I buy 500 from Josh's Frogs?

·
Registered
701 Posts
For one frog? I think the big problem is they might die if you buy too many.

Reactions: brinkerh420

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Should I just buy like 100 at a time or should I buy 500 from Josh's Frogs?
There are two reasons not to do this: the crickets will grow much faster than you will feed, so you will end up with a bunch of crickets that are too big to feed, also many crickets will die, so you will be wasting money. I used to buy 2000 at a time, feed the small crickets to my smaller treefrogs then when they got bigger I would feed them to my larger treefrogs. This only worked because I had a lot of treefrogs. When you factor in shipping and attrition, the money saved on buying in bulk is lost because you are only feeding one frog. I would just set up a small gut loading tank and buy locally every week if you can.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have two green tree frogs in my terrarium and I usually feed them medium sized crickets... they don't seem to have any problems with them, and they look to be about the size of yours. Nice set up btw.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts