Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me, or does this Bufo typhonius have the same facial characteristics as the Atelopus'? Are they closely related? If you were to remove the nuchal crests, it seems to me that these toads would look like very granular, and textured Atelopus... Any thoughts?

JBear

Attachments

Reactions: bristles

·
Registered
314 Posts
An easy way to tell a bufonid is the horizontal pupils. They all have them, if I'm not mistaken. How closely allied "Bufo" typhonius is to Atelopus, I have no idea.
Whatever the case, "Bufo typhonius" is a catch-all name, and involves a bunch of species. In fact, I doubt the high-crested animal you pictured is "typhonius" at all, or even a Bufo for that matter, (probably Rhinella now?) as taxonomists have divided New World bufonids into a bunch of new genera that I really haven't had the time or inclination to memorize at this point in time, as it all makes very little sense to me. JVK

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jbear, do you keep these ? talk about miniature dinosaurs......:rolleyes:
No I don't keep them, but would love to... I suspect they are not available. Doesn't stop me from appreciating this species through pics ;)

JBear

·
Registered
314 Posts
No I don't keep them, but would love to... I suspect they are not available. Doesn't stop me from appreciating this species through pics ;)

JBear
The high crested species you have in the picture I've never seen, but that doesn't mean small amounts aren't offered to those in "the in". Everything I've seen are the Suriname "typhonius" offered every year. I would assume the more "desirable" species would be located in countries that don't allow export? Anyways, as far as the Suriname species, a somewhat dry substrate is beneficial (while maintaining decent humidity, from what I've read) . They are coming in now, or a few months ago if I'm not mistaken. Pedostibes hosii (Old World) is on Kingsnake now, if you're interested (arboreal Old World Bufonid). A holy grail species for me.JVK

·
Registered
19,312 Posts
Your right, they are Rhinella now and are roughly broken into two groups.. those that are in the R. margaritifer group and those that are in the R. typhonius group.. both groups consist of a number of what are probably either species or subspecies of leaf litter toads but are currently poorly defined other than in the broadest terms.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts