Dendroboard banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Azureus, Imitator Varadero, Blue Jeans
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looooong time lurker and first post! I'm trying to recreate Raf's vine background ( https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/p...y-new-constructed-vivarium-15.html#post522377 ) because it looks undeniably amazing. I'm trying to stay as true to the formula and technique as possible but I'm in the US and we don't have the compaktuna brand here. So I'm making do with:

3 parts peat moss/dirt as aggregate
2 parts mortar mix
1 (really 2) parts water/ DAP concrete bonding adhesive. I added more of this because the mixture was coming out to dry for it to stick to anything

My problem is that I'm having trouble getting the mixture to cling and hold on to the polypropylene rope and PVC piping. I've been testing the mixture on tiny test strips before I cover all the vine piping. Currently my new strategy is adding a quick coat of 30 minute epoxy on the rope before adding the mortar/peat mixture in hope that it hopes better. I personally like the look of the peat/mortar mixture better on the background over the look of the standard 'cover in silicone and dump dry peat' strategy. If anyone has been successful on this or has any ideas, all feedback is welcome!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
3,203 Posts
I am sorry that I don't have much familiarity with this construction technique, so I won't be of much help. I am really looking forward to hearing about your take on it and I would like to give it a try someday.

In case you didn't see it, Kalle recently posted a buttress tree root build that uses runny cement to excellent effect. It's not the same, but it may give you some other ideas. Of course, Kalle is in Europe, too, so maybe it's just trading one unavailable product for another :)

https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/parts-construction/353946-buttressed-tree-my-way.html

Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
I know this isn't specifically answering your question. I've never made fake vines by the method you describe. I did build a couple of vivaria with quite a few fake vines using various diameter ropes coated with silicone with dry peat and coco coir pressed in while wet.

This seemed to work well, cure fast, and so far as I know, hold up long term.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top