Dendroboard banner

Who thinks this will be beneficial if something good comes out of it???

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is one of those thoughts I am sure that runs through all egg feeder frog owner's minds. Can a diet be produced which will be able to sustain the tadpoles just as well as the parental egg? This is something that I have really been thinking of lately, due to my m. laevigata's beginning to breed. They, as well as some darts, are egg feeders. They might not have as severe consequences as dart egg feeders, if the parental egg is not fed to the tadpoles, but it does have a large effect, none the less. So, I just wanted to get peoples opinions, preferably from those who have breed egg feeders, such as pums, as how beneficial something like this would be. Would it increase froglet production, or bring forth higher yields of froglets if it was just as good as an egg? I really am unaware of how many tads a female pum will feed, but I know m. laevigata's will only feed generally 1 to 3 tads, or however many they have laid into the water well.

Now, the reason I bring this up in the first place is because I do have access to great ingredients used for many larvael diets, which contain good concentrations of things, such as amino acids, etc. Amino acids are a very important thing which is obtained from eggs. Also, I am going into biology, so I thought this might be a great poject to get started on. I am planning now to get a few pairs of pumilios, and if or when I get eggs, I am going to get them analyzed to find out exactly what is needed from the eggs by the tads. I will definitely keep this forum posted, and perhaps I can get some help and knowledge from locals here in utah as well.

Now, let me know what you all think of something such as this. I know it is a big project to undertake, but I think the benefits will be very much worth it. Correct me if I am wrong!!!

Ed Parker

· Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aww, but is parental care instinct, or is it learned? I would vote for instinct, but i guess it could be possible to lose it. Good point.

Ed Parker

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.