Dendroboard banner

Who thinks this will be beneficial if something good comes out of it???

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
There is a professor at the University of Michigan that is currently doing research on obligate egg feeders, specifically pumilio. I don't know all the details of his research but it has to do with why the tads only eat the females eggs.

In terms of whether finding an alternate source is "good or bad", I've always been looking for ways to raise more animals mainly from a hobbyist view. There are animals that I would like to see not disappear from the hobby. There are many reasons for this, some selfish and others conservation based. Regardless, I have always advocated letting the parents raise what they will raise on their own so there isn't a risk of loosing this parental care role. There are many tads that go untransported and I've always felt that this is probably because of captive conditions, though there is no emprical data to back this up. There's a lot that is still unknown about these guys and I think if we want to continue to study or even enjoy them in captivity, an alternate food source can only be beneficial.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.