Dendroboard banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey,
Iv been having trouble creating a water feature in the sense that when ever i create a pond the gravel always fills it up and im stuck with a little sand bar and its not useful because im trying to create a pond that has atleast an inch deep of water.. i always see vivs that have a nice amount of land and a good depth of a pond and with me its either land or pond its never them both together, i never get a good amount of land and a nice water feature. so if there's tips or trick on creating a nice water feature it will help me and maybe someone else creating a water feature.

Thanks, Jeremy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My advice would be to use a false bottom. This is easily achieved with egg crate and PVC pipe spacers. You are basically raisng the land section above the water level which collects in the bottom on the viv. If you experiment a little with the egg crate and spacers, you can creat sloped land or a cutout section whoch will enable you to have a land section well above the water with a lower section of gravel which is submerged below the wate line. If your egg create is high enough, you should be able to have about 3-4" of water and with a 1 to 2" layer of gravel in the lower section you will have a pond that si around 2-3" deep...any deeper and you are flirting with the risk of having frogs drown. Sorry for being so generl...I'm not terribly good at explaining things....maybe someone else will chime in. GL!

-Bill J.

·
Registered
170 Posts
i find using larger rocks, like grapes size with smaller gravel under helps keep it deep... and they probably wouldnt slip to answer your question

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i've recently made 2 water features in tanks, so here's my experience...
defintely use the false bottom method.
use fiberglass windowscreen to help create the sloped "ramp" portion of your pond, and use plenty of it. it will help you keep the rocks where you want them. also, you can use leftover eggcrate to make your ramp step-like (as if stacking lego's on top of each other). once you've got a nice sloped structure in place leading up to the land portion of your vivarium (like small steps), put your rocks in. i've even gone to the trouble of using little dabs of silicone to place small river-rocks where i want them. good luck man! let us know how you're doing.
~b

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mix silicone and small rock together and construct "shelves" as the ground level ramps down. It doesn't look any different and keeps the water empty. Also, if you use wood or large stone to border the land from the water feature, less silting occurs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what i was going to do was place sphagnum moss on the ramp and then put gravel on top of that to prevent the rocks from slipping but i never tried it.. do you think it will work??? what do you guys think of the idea?

·
Registered
793 Posts
patience will help you more.

I don't think the sphagnum would help much in having the rocks not slip down into the water. If you don't want to use a false bottom, try the larger rocks as suggested. These would be less likely to slip.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i dont wont to foam it i wont it to look natural.. dont worry about it ill find a way. Thanks for the help

1 - 11 of 11 Posts