Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a thought I had been mulling over today. I'm trying to determine a way to create a viv that could be placed on a lazy-susan type turntable and rotated for viewing from every side. Not really concerned with how to landscape/plant it, but I'm more worried about making sure there are no wires connected to the viv itself that would inhibit it from being able to rotate...Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Well I guess we need to know if you plan on a moving water feature. If not, you can hang a light source from the ceiling over the tank. If you were planning a water feature, I guess you can drill thru the bottom of the tank into a center stump like centerpiece. You can put the wire or wires thru this hole and silicone them in place. Making sure to seal up the bottom. I'm not sure if you would be able to make a water tight seal this way or if water would eventually wick down the wires. I have not done this myself, it's just a thought.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Water feature isn't a must. Would it be possible to create a small standing body of water that didn't require any kind of pumps or filters, or would that be too much of a breeding ground for bacteria? Of course regular water changes would still be done, but still.

·
Registered
161 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is the overall weight that will be placed on the platform. I would buy a rotating base that is rated for twice the weight of the Viv.
Doug

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
The only way I could see this working with wires, is if you drill a hole through the top/bottom of the viv, connected with pvc tubing, and run the cords through the middle of the viv aligned with the rotating axis. This would only twist the cord slightly and keep from tangeling things up and wrapping around the tank.

I constructed a nice little display cabinet that rotates back in high school. Its really quite simple. All I did was drill a 1" diameter hole in the bottom piece of the cabinet (only halfway through). Then I cutout a circular piece of wood to place under the cabinet. This piece also had a 1" hole that aligned with the one on the cabinet bottom (also halfway through). I then cut a short section of 1" circular dowel to use as the center joint to keep them aligned. In addition to the dowel, I cut circular track on the bottom piece and filled it with ballbearings. It is essentially a ballbearing system for idiots, and works great. Try thinking of ways to do this with a tank and you are golden.

Or you could just mount the lights to the roof or wall...lol

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The lights aren't particularly what I'm worried about. It's the idea of having a pump for any water feature that might be created. I'm not trying to create a waterfall or anything, but having a small pool of water would be nice. Just trying to determine if I really need any of kind of pump to keep that water moving or if it will be fine without one?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts