Dendroboard banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just realized the peat I bought was by miracle grow. It didn't have any apparent fertilizer in it, but it may have been soaked in fertilizer.
It is 0.05 - 0.02 - 0.04 fertilizer. There are only a few parts that will be submerged and I won't be misting. I've already put it on the silicone and it's dry. Will it be okay? Would it help to rinse everything in distilled water? There's nothing in the tank other than the great stuff, black silicone, and the peat.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would soak it, rinse and repeat multiple times. I also wouldn't bother with distilled just use tap water. I am not sure how long you should soak it but a 24 hour soak might be a good start.
Well it's already applied in the tank... I can probably rinse it, but soaking might cause the peat to deteriorate. I don't think a huge, mass-produced brand like miracle grow is going to take pride in soaking their products in fertilizers. They may lightly mist them for just a few seconds, but I don't think that would cause a major build-up of fertilizer that could potentially harm the frogs.

·
Registered
527 Posts
i'd either tear it out or use it as a plant tank for a while. maybe a long while. perhaps someone around here will know how long it takes the fertilizer to break down in the soil. or google may know? without knowing for sure what's in the soil, its not worth risking the lives of your frogs. even if you neglect the emotional/moral/conservational standpoint, financially its not worth the risk either. do what you gotta do, but this is just my opinion. good luck,

brett

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Any of the Peat I have found over here in Germany always has a light solution of fertilizer in it. If it it used to fill gaps in fernroot slabs I usually fill the tank up afterwards with water and let it sit for a bit then empty it out and repeat the next day. If there is great stuff type material in the tank I usually wash the wall with a garden house over the next days once it has dried. After a few times the fertilizer is pretty much non-existent. By the time I add my frogs or other animals (usually 2 months after the viv is established) there is really no cause for concern unless it is a slow releasing fertilizer.

·
Registered
527 Posts
how do you determine that the fertilizer is non-existent after you hose it down??? just curious.

-brett

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got these frogs from my friend's pond. They cost me nothing. I don't want to ignore the moral part of the situation, so I'll soak/rinse the tank until my tads are fully developed. When I was little I would catch these frogs on the time. To be honest, I would get some dirt from my outside planter boxes and put it in a cage. That had fertilizers in it and it leached into the water. I think they will be fine, but I'm going to rise as much as I can before I add the frogs.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
how do you determine that the fertilizer is non-existent after you hose it down??? just curious.

-brett
Luckily I know quite a few farmers who are well knowledgeable in Fertilizers and Pesticides. I am pretty allergic to Fertilizers, so if I tell them what is in it what I am using they are able to tell me how to get it to safe levels for me and the frogs.

You can also use soil test kits.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Luckily I know quite a few farmers who are well knowledgeable in Fertilizers and Pesticides. I am pretty allergic to Fertilizers, so if I tell them what is in it what I am using they are able to tell me how to get it to safe levels for me and the frogs.

You can also use soil test kits.
It's not really soily. It's a thin layer, most of which has came off in the rinses. I covered the floor of the vivarium with moss so they won't be on the peat all the time. I'd say the viv floor is more than 75% covered with everything.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
It's not really soily. It's a thin layer, most of which has came off in the rinses. I covered the floor of the vivarium with moss so they won't be on the peat all the time. I'd say the viv floor is more than 75% covered with everything.
Yeah but you can test dilute the actual soil from the bag itself. This is what I meant for the soil test kit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts