Dendroboard banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty bored today and no plans, so I figured that I'll try and make a 10 gallon verticle tank. I'm going to be making mine as close as I can to Ben Green's ( http://thechocohut.homestead.com/DIY_20gal_Vert.html ) design, as I like it the best. I've got plenty of 10 gallons. Just need to make a Lowe's run for some plexi, parts for the vent, silicone, latches, great stuff, etc. My main question is about the Great Stuff. I asked my Dad about this since he's a carpenter/handy man and he said that's it's pretty powerful and may crack the glass if wedged in a corner. Has anyone ever had this happen? What techniques do you use to prevent this? Maybe put the great stuff 2" away form corners and let it expand out to them? Any and all comments appreciated.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Derek, I've done about 1/2 dozen 15 H verticle enclosures and a couple other sizes with either great stuff or the waterproof expanding foam. Never had any issues with it breaking the tank. I just do it in layers, mainly because it is easier to put on than take off. When I do the bigger enclosures (I did a 40 gallon last) I went right into the corners and did 2/3 of the sides. On the verts I usually just do the back and stop 1/2 " - 3/4" from the sides. Use the normal expanding stuff in the red can.

Ed

·
Registered
114 Posts
Derek,

Like Ed said its all about the layering of the great stuff. The 10 gals that you have are prob aquarium tanks. If you buy the terrarium tanks the glass is thinner so they may crack. Just make sure you leave room for the expansion of the greatstuff and you can always go back into to seal corners and edges. We are making more of our thumbnail verticals now as well and this is the way to go....so many possibilities.

Ryan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.